Folders Hotkeys and IMAP Inbox Subfolders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hanguolaohu, Jul 12, 2009.

1. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

Hi,

I have 2 questions about Apple Mail while using on an IMAP system:

1. I have an IMAP account setup to work with Apple Mail, but any additional folders I create are not under my Inbox, but instead under another subheading which was created at the root level of my server. What's annoying is when I search in Mail, it doesn't search that subfolder as well. My belief is that if the folder was under my Inbox then it would search all my mail. Any way to create these folders under my Inbox?

2. When I finish reading an e-mail in my Inbox, I like to place it in a folder called "Filed". Does Apple Mail have a built-in keyboard shortcut for this function? Are there any good and simple 3rd party add-on's for this function? I checked out www.hawkwings.net and there seem to be so many to choose from.

Thanks,
    Alexander

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

There's a way around this 'bug'.

Let's say you have a sub-folder under the section of your IMAP server called "Sent Items" (such is the case for Gmail + IMAP), and you want sent mail to go to your Mail.app root inbox instead. Click on the root "Sent" mailbox and select from the menu bar: "Mailbox -> Use this mailbox for..." and select "Sent". Now all your sent mail will fall into this root mailbox instead of the one within your IMAP folders.

Hope this helps.