Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Can I move and/or rename folders in the user folder? Such as I would like to move Movies & Pictures into a folder called "Media". And the Sites folder into "Projects". Will this mess anything up?

I like how in W7 I could have a clean looking user folder that only showed the folders I wanted in there. It didn't show things like "Desktop" & "Library". These items clutter up the folder and I'd like to hide them or move them to another location. Is this possible?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The vast majority of folders in so-called "user space" can be safely moved or renamed without issue. The two folders that cannot are Desktop and Library... but that's fixable too, with a little Terminal wizardry. You cannot move them, but you CAN hide them, with the chflags command:
Code:
chflags hidden ~/Library

Beware, though - iTunes and iPhoto expect there to be certain folders in your user folder, for their default libraries. You can override this by holding Alt/Option at startup and selecting a library location, so it's not a huge problem.

Also, hiding the Desktop folder isn't such a great idea. The Library folder's definitely safe to hide, though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.