Folders keep rearranging by itself

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Nbyond, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Nbyond macrumors newbie

I'm a uni student so I put lecture notes topics in the right order. When I exit the finder and come back.. the folders are rearranged in bloody alphabetical order ! It's getting on my nerve.. How do I fix this?:mad:

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Check that the default view settings aren't set to arrange by name and remove the .DS_Store from the folder. I generally use 01,02,03 though. Because I just don't logically trust things like meta data tracking for file ordering.

3. Nbyond thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I remove the DS_Store??

And if I don't set it to names what should I set it to? It's currently on "None."

4. Nbyond thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Nbyond thread starter macrumors newbie

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Since this is obviously a very serious problem for you which is in need of immediate resolution (since you are aggressively bumping):

Just prefix the folder names with a number like Hansr suggested, and everything will sort fine by name. Crisis averted.

7. Nbyond thread starter macrumors newbie

But what if I do not want to arrange them by "name".. any other better methods?

8. eldho macrumors member

I use a combination of folders and colours for different categories so that I do not have to search too hard for what I want but it is still very annoying as I much preferred being able to place things at various locations and have them stay there. May Apple solve this quickly.