Folders - Now you See them Now you don't!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustLeft, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JustLeft macrumors 6502

Loaded iOS4 and everything went well. Spent about 30 minutes arranging apps into folders, renaming the folders as I went along. Then sync'd the phone to iTunes. Then in iTunes I proceeded to continue where I left off, creating additional folders, adding apps to ones I created earlier on the phone, etc... Life was good.

Then I pressed sync in iTunes. And the fun began! WTF, every folder I created was gone. All of the apps were scattered onto different pages. Everything was totally messed up.

Spent another hour, this time only creating folders and moving apps to them in iTunes. I would sync every 5 minutes. This time it worked, but I am wondering, am I just living on borrowed time? I backed up the phone but I am very worried that I will lose all of my work.

Anyone else experiencing this frustration?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Yup its a serious bug, happened to me today. I was mad..

3. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Yes so in the developer gm for 4.0 it was a known bug. If you create folders on the phone then sync w itunes you will lose them. If you create the folders first in iTunes you will be ok. It was known that installing Xcode and iphone sdk injected some code into iTunes to fix the problem.

It's an itunes problem so hopefully their will be an update to it soon for all non devs

4. JustLeft thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. Since I redid everything on iTunes, I should be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

A known bug? I just created a folder on my iPhone 3GS and had no trouble synching it.

6. JustLeft thread starter macrumors 6502

I created about 25 folders, synced, lost them all. Not sure if the issue is around the number that I created, or something else, but they are gone nonetheless.

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Good to know, thanks!

8. M87 macrumors 65816

I've created all of my folders on the iPhone and have synced with itunes multiple times without issue.

9. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Made folders on phone, and had no issues. Phew... That would be frustrating.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't know if this is connected... I created folders on my phone, sync'd then created more folders on itunes, sync'd again and lost folders. My work around is every time after you sync, unplug the phone and plug it back in. Everything seems to show up correctly then and not get lost.

12. Appmamma macrumors newbie

oh no! that happens every time I synch (3.1.3) so I stopped synching! All my apps would be all over the place and I'd me missing some!

Hope you got it fixed

13. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Wow. That really sucks. I haven't used folders yet because I only have 2 pages of apps, besides the default page with the apple apps, and neither of the pages are completely full. There should be a better way to make folders within iTunes. Maybe create the folder but then bring up a checklist for all the apps you want instead of dragging and dropping every single one. Also, it gets kind of annoying when you're trying to place one app in front of another and it keeps trying to make a folder.

14. Baltika09 macrumors member

Oh wonderful, good to know! Haven't synced my 3GS since updating to the gm seed, but going to tonight before bed, so I'm all ready for when my iphone4 arrives tomorrow. I just took screen shots of my desktop and folders so in can remember where everything goes when inhale to do it all over again.