Folders Open In New Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScKaSx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ScKaSx macrumors regular

Hi All,

I just upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2 from Tiger. I am having issues with windows management. For some reason if I'm in my home directory and open a folder it opens in a new window even though I UNchecked the Finder preference "Always open folders in new window."

Anyone know whats going on, or why this could be happening?

Cheers,
    ScKaSx
    MacBook Pro 15" Intel

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

not sure really, but you could start by repairing permissions (disk utility) and resetting pram (alt, cmd, p, r on boot) - though i cant really see the pram helping its always worth a try, ill let someone else chime in here lol ...

3. Garetxcore macrumors newbie

Are you holding the :apple: button when you click? If so maybe you should ;)

4. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

Here's an Update .... And More Questions

I realized multiple windows only opened from my home directory which I set for the toolbar and sidebar to be off. So this means, folders (with toolbar and sidebar turned off) open in new windows even with the "Always open folders in new window" preference unchecked. Can someone confirm this???

If this is the case for everyone, is there a work around for not having the sidebar (there are sometimes I really don't want the sidebar).

Also, another thing I noticed, slightly separate issue. When I try to cycle through open folders (command-`) in Finder it stops on the last folder and won't cycle back. This is odd since the cycle command works for other applications (i.e. safari). Any ideas? Thanks.

Cheers,
    ScKaSx

5. cliveports macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. Regardless of whether "Always open folders in a new window" is checked or not it very annoyingly always open folders in a new window!

I've tried repairing permissions but it makes no difference.

And I can confirm that if Sidebar is hidden then the Always open folders in a new window is ignored, ScKaSx I think you've discovered a bug.

Any fixes out there?

6. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i confirm this. Strange that you didnt notice that its the same in tiger.

To cliveports: Its not a bug, its how its supposed to work without the toolbars. Think for example, if it didnt open in a new window, but you wanted to go a step back (to the previous directory). You would have to re-enable the sidebars etc which will also re-enable the "Back" button.

7. cliveports macrumors newbie

Well Sowl I take your point but to my mind this is Milkrosoft thinking, they have always decided whats best for us wrt how Windows works and often limited us to the options they think we needed. I'm new to Macs and like the way the OS works but as a user I would like to have a say as to how my system works, so if i say I don't want it to open new folders then thats what I want. All Apple needed to do was add two check boxes; one for Always open folder in new window and the second could be only open in new window if sidebar hidden