Folders within itunes Folder...... help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmon1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. dmon1 macrumors newbie

In the itunes folder, there are alot of artist or album folders (can't remember which ones) and inside the folders, are the songs. How can I make the itunes folder show the songs instead of a bunch of folders? Is it even posible? Thanks in advance..

2. MAW macrumors regular

that can be done in itunes. are you just browsing through your hd?

3. sal macrumors 6502

you are talking about the music within itunes or the finder?

itunes organizes your music on your computer, by creating folders for every artist, followed by the album, then the songs.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Why do you want to do this?

5. dmon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Can it display just the songs instead of the folders for artists and albums?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you need to get a file/track for whatever reason, just open itunes and either export it, or just drag it out, and it creates a copy of it where ever you drop it.

7. sal macrumors 6502

To my knowledge you can't change this. Itunes automatically organizes your music via the method I described.

You really should never be browsing your music through the finder and going through numerous folders. Use itunes to browse through your music.

if you need to delete, move, copy change or modify a song, do it through itunes.

to better organize your music, use playlists and smartplaylists. Playlists can then be organized via folders.

if you need to find a song quickly, then use the search feature in your music library. Start typing the name of a song, artist or album and it should quickly narrow down your entire music library to what you are searching for.

8. dmon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How about adding music to my itunes collection. My friend gave me an mp3 cd and I want to add it to my collection. Do I open the cd in a folder (widows XP by the way) and drag all the mp3 songs to the actual itunes player or the itunes folder? Sorry, I'm not so good with computers... thank you guys for all the help and fast responces....

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

From within iTunes itself, select 'Add to Library' from the File menu.

10. sal macrumors 6502

Drag the music from the mp3 cd to your itunes music library. (within itune itself.)

Itunes will copy the songs to your drive and organize it for you.

::edit::
    important. in order for the above trick to work, go to your advance preferences and make sure "keep itunes music folder organized" AND "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to the library" is checked. Otherwise what i said earlier won't work

11. dmon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip buddy. I'll do that next time.