Folders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Aug 17, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Who'd like to see folders introduced onto the home screen and the ability to move any icon/app into one?

Would make for a tidier home screen and hopefully be the end of endless pages of apps!

Perhaps in 3.0? Or even sooner maybe.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Doesn't putting a group of Apps on the same page accomplish the same thing without cluttering the screen with folders?:confused:

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If I have a folder of games on the home screen = 1 touch to reach games

If I have a screen of games on page 5 = 5 swipes to reach games

Not really the same thing...

4. imetazoa macrumors member

imetazoa

Wirelessly posted (IPHONE 3G... booya!!!: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

agree this would be awsome

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I think the multiple slide screens are their solution to folders. But it would be nice to have one for the less used apps and ones you can't delete to just be out of the way.

With easily having 4 screens, it can be difficult to quickly get to an app, and you might not always be at the main home screen. Then not to mention updates rearrange your icons all the time to the first screen.

What would be kind of nice would be vertical pages. So instead of just left or right, you got up and down. You main home page being the middle page. Then it would be pretty easy to organize 4 extra pages all accessible with one swipe. Cooler if you could a least change the color of the back to help identify where you are at when swiping fast.

So, a simple swipe down for games, swipe up for multimedia, swipe left for organization, swipe right for misc, etc.

I try to keep the main page simple with my most used apps, leaving half empty or. But then updates appear there and make it pointless, and any consistency over time as they all shuffle around. Would be better if you could arrange icons where you want. It auto stacks upward, leaving the bottom empty, and moving one causes everything after it to shift. I'd rather be able to manually put apps in say all 4 corners to be easier to find, also give a customized look to each screen.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

On the one hand, this seems confusing, but on the other hand I can totally see Apple doing this.

Folders sound good, but become difficult when you start thinking about HOW to create and name them with the iPhone's interface.

So although your idea sounds kind of complicated, it may actually make more sense than folders.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I thought so too, until the app updates started moving them around. :(

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Tap and hold on any unoccupied icon space on any home screen. A wiggling folder icon is created in that spot, with the name "new folder". As the folder wiggles, the name "folder" blinks. Tap once on the blinking name, a keyboard pops up, type a new name, tap "done" on the keyboard; keyboard disappears, the folder name stops blinking, the folder icon stops wiggling. A new folder is created.

To move it, tap and hold as usual.

To move icons into the folder, tap and hold any icon until all icons wiggle, grab the icon you want, drag it over the folder. The folder icon gets bigger and the icon you have grabbed gets a green plus sign badge. Let go, icon drops into the folder. Repeat as needed. Tap home to stop all wiggling as usual.

Tap on a folder once to open it, like opening any app. A new home screen zooms/morphs into place, with all the icons that are in the folder. To get back to the main home screen, hit home button as usual.

Rename a folder. Tap and hold a folder until it wiggles then hold a bit longer until the name starts blinking. Tap the name once, kb pops up, type new name, tap done.

9. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds perfect to me. I really do think Apple needs to implement this, especially after launching the app store.

10. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

Folders?! What next?! You're going to want your iPhone to not drop calls and some type of Push Notification, and worse off, note syncing.

Give an inch....
    :D:D

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Most people don't have any unoccupied space until page 3 or higher. Thus, to make a folder you have to scroll out there, then drag it back 3 pages.

I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it was more difficult than having pages in all 4 directions.

And your idea, while perfectly fine, is a bit more difficult. That doesn't mean they won't do it. It just means it's not quite as easy.

12. ajthomason macrumors 6502

first you want folders... then you'll be asking for leopard-esque stacks on the dock!

it seems like an OK idea though - but it would be so much better if we had a 'Finder' app and navigated to the desktop folder to create folders and move files.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Dare I say you don't really have the data to back that statement up. ;)

I for one, keep only 3 rows of icons on all my screens (besides the dock), a swipe path if you will. It also serves as a landing strip on the first page for new/updated apps so they don't jumble all my other screens.

14. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

The whole folders issue...definitely has to do with the lack of customization the iphone offers. I sure hope they address this issue before the release of the htc dream with t-mobile (or whatever the new iphone competition will be) ...because watching the videos recently released, unfortunately that will be the catch (the customization available to the user).

15. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

While you have multiple screens, with all these apps, it's beginning to feel like a desktop with 100s of icons, that randomly change (updates)

On iTunes, apps are listed under certain categories. Like Productivity, Music, Utilities, Games, etc. It would be nice to customize a page to only show apps in one of those categories. Or just give the page any name for the type of apps you plan to put there. Maybe name it by double tapping the white dots.

Then, instead of dragging to those pages, you have an option to hold your finger on the white dots to pop up a menu with those page names to instantly jump to them.

Now, obviously something like games mights not fit on one page and it would be annoying to have a Games 2 page just for 5 more games. To prevent that, maybe we could add scrolling to pages to have unlimited apps. Just scroll up and down like a normal window. That's the major flaw with this many apps, no way to scroll, forcing you to create one more page for one category of apps, or having to mix them with other apps just to prevent that.

These icons a were great when there were only a few simple apps. But with so many now, it's like trying to browse all your mp3s in icon form with no organization. But I think with the method above, having names with a quick way to jump to them, and unlimited apps in one page, it pretty much feels more like a folder, but still feels like an iPhone.

We also may need a search function for apps like we do with contacts.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I keep a spare row on page 2 for the exact same reason. (I find that just as convinient as page 1, and it gives me extra apps on page 1.)

That being said, you're the FIRST other person I've met who has done something similar. So now I know of 2 people who do that, and dozens that don't.

I'll stick by my "most people" comment. :)