Folders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blancoBronco, Apr 8, 2010.

1. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I understand how to make a folder on 4.0, but how do you delete them? if you do, do the apps go back to where they previously were?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would imagine you get rid of them by removing all the Apps from them by dragging the Apps to the homescreen that's faded in the background.

3. celticpride678

You grad all of the apps out of the folder and the folder deletes automatically.

4. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

One huge negative to folders is that iTunes does NOT currently support syncing apps in folders. I just spent a lot of time creating some folders on my iPhone only to have them removed after syncing with iTunes. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next release of iTunes.

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Is there a limit to the number of apps you can have in a folder? it appears to be only nine, is that correct? I've got three pages of games, so will i have to make several folders of games?

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, the limit is 12.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It will be, it's a known "bug"/missing feature from the current release of iTunes. There will probably be a Beta release of iTunes 9.1.2 or something along those lines on Mon/Tue.

8. jersey10 macrumors regular

They screwed up the folder feature if you can only put 12 items into any one folder.

Also, is there a way to choose what each folder looks like? - I can't tell from the screenshots. You should be able to choose a game symbol for the outside of your games folder, a music symbol for your music folder, etc. That way you can quickly tap on the folder you need. It doesn't look from the screenshots like you can do this at all.

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

The folders actually have little icons of the apps that are inside. I would imagine that is the reason for the 12 limitation.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Someone didn't read their iPhone SDK 4 beta Release Notes.

11. jersey10 macrumors regular

That's a bad solution. Not only does it limit you to 12 items within each folder but, just as importantly, because the little icons of the apps that are contained in the folder are so small, it makes it virtually impossible to just glance at the folders and know immediately which one you need to press (which you would know if there were, for instance, a big music icon on your music folder). I know some of the jailbroken apps that set up folder capabilities give you a choice of icons to put on each folder depending on what is inside. Apple should have done the same. If this is really Apple's approach (it's hard to believe that it is), essentially all your folders are going to look the same from the outside.

I was looking forward to having folders, but what Apple has done in implementing this feature if very disappointing. Hopefully, the final implementation in June will be different.

12. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

You are correct. The iPhone OS 4.0 release notes does clearly state "iTunes 9.1 does not support folders for applications. Syncing with iTunes 9.1 may erase any folders created on your device." But, I clearly didn't need to read this to discover this. It was very apparent after syncing with iTunes. Thanks for the information anyways. :D

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Might've saved you some frustration if you had. Gnome sane?

14. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Well, you can call the folder "Music". It will be written right below the folder icon.