Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MrMacman
How could you do work on something that hasn't been implemented on the mac yet? :confused:

sure PC's have it... but... is it the same exact file and file log?

Supposedly so. There would be no reason for them to write special code for the log files for one operating system over another. This would just be more work for them, which would be unnecessary and unwanted.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Gromacs support has been added and is working, hopefully glitch-lessly. :)

I'll know when I hear more from the Stanford forums.

I've also made a change to show the build date when you double-click on the dialog box, away from the regular controls.

Attachments

• releasedate.jpg
    releasedate.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 317

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've implemented a way to estimate the time to completion for a work unit, as you can see from the dialog box.

As soon as I've worked it out, the changes will be on the website.

Attachments

• fptimetocompletion.jpg
    fptimetocompletion.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 280

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Hmm... any chance we could get a version that doesn't use 40-odd percent of my CPU time? I'd rather have that going into F@H itself.

You have to ask Apple why Java is such a pig. I've been implementing it as efficiently as possible. I keep it minimised in the dock, which leaves it at zero percent (or as near as any app comes) and pull it up occasionally to update.

I've thought about using the metal look-and-feel you can see above, which should cut down on the CPU usage since it doesn't use the fluid effects.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Hmm... any chance we could get a version that doesn't use 40-odd percent of my CPU time? I'd rather have that going into F@H itself.

I have the same problem. I want to use this app, but I'll wait until it's a little more mature.

Great work!

Dan

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Okay, the version on the website currently is unlikely to take so much CPU time.

It also eschews the Aqua look-and-feel to do it, instead using the native Java look-and-feel. It looks as though it's taking 0.40 % CPU now. Those of you who upgraded to v.1.4.1 should be pleased.

By the way, once it's been through a new frame, you can double-click on the progress bar to get an estimated time to completion.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
It's hideous, but it only takes up 1.7% of my proc, so thanks! I will definitely keep watching the development of this great app.

Dan

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by alset
It's hideous, but it only takes up 1.7% of my proc, so thanks! I will definitely keep watching the development of this great app.

Dan

I'm still running 1.31 because of the -performance with 1.4 Java. And why again do you all need to keep the app up all the time?

I launch it when I want to see progress. okay...

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm still running 1.31 because of the -performance with 1.4 Java. And why again do you all need to keep the app up all the time?

I launch it when I want to see progress. okay...

I'm a progress junkie. I check it all the time. Besides, it makes me feel like a big man! :)

Dan

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Problem with latest version:

That's not a problem. I'm telling you that there is not enough information to calculate anything because no other frames have been processed yet.

It takes at least one more frame to calculate an estimate. Leave it running long enough to let another frame be shown.

The amount of CPU usage is minimal. You can leave it minimised in the dock, if you prefer and bring it back to full size when you want to see the progress.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
The progress monitor has been updated for the gromac core and other slight improvments.

In case you get a gromac unit the completion date isn't perfect and he knows.

Any new members this gives you your current protien, and an estimate on completion. the link again
and your set.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Gromacs estimated time to completion works correctly now and the new version is available from the website.

If you have questions or suggestions, let me know.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've updated again to correct some problems when switching proteins. I've also changed it to auto-update on startup. Percentages display in the title, so you can see them when the application is minimised, but I'm still working on implementing the timer.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Very nice,
now I can finally check how my linux box advances its syphicus task as well as the mac at the same time in an ungly metal window ,)

Do you plan to give the newest source away? I'd consider integrating a bit more netwoking into it so I could check the linux box without the need of mounting.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by visor
Very nice,
now I can finally check how my linux box advances its syphicus task as well as the mac at the same time in an ungly metal window ,)

Do you plan to give the newest source away? I'd consider integrating a bit more netwoking into it so I could check the linux box without the need of mounting.

Thanks.

I let one person have the source and he was supposedly almost done with it several weeks ago, but I've seen nothing so I guess he's not going to finish.

I was a little leery of letting the source go but I may consider it again.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
Eureka, I've Switched to the Console Client with "FoldingProgress.jar" and I like it!!! I did have a problem getting FP going ....

The old Graphic setup was: Users/pluto/Library/Folding@home...
I deleted the folder's CONTENTS and installed the Console Client
The new Console setup was: Users/pluto/F@H1...
I couldn't get "FoldingProgress.jar" to work until I deleted the old "Folding@home" FOLDER , deleted the "Users/pluto/fpsettings" and then reran "FoldingProgress.jar"
The New work Unit on my B&W 450MHz G4 ( I.E. the Guinea Pig) is a 51.4 pointer due to finish Friday at 6:09AM ....COOOOL... Thanks bousozoku and Friends!!
I was going to do the same on my QuickSilver 1.26GHz G4 but the new work unit on it this morning was a 9 pointer (go figure) due to finish after lunch.
At fifty Years old, I can't afford to pass up a Quickie!
The Wife's iMac FP 700MHz G4, the one that really needs the Console due to 3 users, won't get done with it's WU till Friday sometime. Gotta finish the points before starting over! Now I've got time to bring my Pismo and B&W G3 up to OSX Jaguar and start them folding ( if Work don't get in the Way)
Later Dudes

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm glad it's working for you now. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with two different work folders unless you just had it pointed toward the old one.

It's good to have someone else folding. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I made a recent change to this to support Double Gromacs work units and to revive my work after the disk scramble way back when. Plus, with Quads available, it might be extremely useful to support them easily and that work was underway right before the scramble.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone other else is still using it, but it's available here and now.

Attachments

• FoldingProgress.jar.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 220

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
It should be technically possible, if the progress monitor would update a simple text or xml file on the HD with current progress.
The widget could then go get and parse that file to show.

Does this mean you're interested in taking over the widget development ? ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
redeye be said:
It should be technically possible, if the progress monitor would update a simple text or xml file on the HD with current progress.
The widget could then go get and parse that file to show.

Does this mean you're interested in taking over the widget development ? ;)

I'm not even sure I'm interested in doing any widget development. Besides, I've not seen anything of it, though I'm reasonably good with JavaScript.

Right now, I'm more interested in implementing changes for my progress monitor that I planned for 2004 before the drive crash killed my spirit.

It would be nice to see 8 process support as well as single process support in the same, flexible code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.