Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I've installed it and am now part of the MR Team! YAY! The only thing is that it's not taking any processor power, or at least it doesn't appear to. I've got iStat installed and I can't see it take any of the CPU power, and I've followed the guide (it wasn't exactly difficult) and it still doesn't show it taking any power.... I don't know if that's how it supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it's not, and I really want to contribute to the team, so if someone could help me out it would be terrific! And my User Name for Folding is KingMookMook, and I couldn't see that listed on the MR Folding Site, so it probably isn't working... I've only been doing it for a couple of hours though, so I might not have done enough to show up on the boards.

King Mook Mook

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Okay, I fixed it! I enter in the -advmethods in advanced and that got me one to work on straight away! Apparently this is quite a common problem, so if you're having problems with your Folding@Home, then try that tag and it'll probably work. Now I'm using my full CPU and Folding away!

King Mook Mook

Great to hear you fixed it up and welcome to the team. Your stats will pop up when you complete a unit (allow a few hours after).

Great news for the team :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Okay, I fixed it! I enter in the -advmethods in advanced and that got me one to work on straight away! Apparently this is quite a common problem, so if you're having problems with your Folding@Home, then try that tag and it'll probably work. Now I'm using my full CPU and Folding away!

King Mook Mook

thanks for joining! and glad you got it fixed!

you can look at your log file to see the status of the current unit you're working on. once you complete a unit, could take 12 hours or so, depending on the unit, then you'll show up on the stats page

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
just started folding again - made my self a new account and changed teams to mac rumors - at the moment im only at about 1/3 folding power about (1100 ppd) Sunday or Monday will be adding my new main mac to the team :)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ok ignore my ignorance.....

but my computer is on 24h a day, I never turn it off, so it would make sense for me to help the MR cause. I have tried setting it up before but it never 'did' anything. Help?

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
Ok ignore my ignorance.....

but my computer is on 24h a day, I never turn it off, so it would make sense for me to help the MR cause. I have tried setting it up before but it never 'did' anything. Help?

whats your machine? are you capable and comfortable with terminal controls? or need a GUI lol

you can read more Here
and Here

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
whats your machine? are you capable and comfortable with terminal controls? or need a GUI lol

you can read more Here
and Here

Im comfortable with terminal, and it seems less wasteful than a GUI. Im on a 2007 macbook (slow and steady and all that) but like I say its on 24h a day so should hopefully churn through some units.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
sweet :D welcome to the team in that case,

sidenote, hmmm mines been fetching a new WU for the last half hour, my iStat is showing no net usage or downloads :S any ideas whats going on?

hmm the log is showing no more work left :S i've just restarted F@H and selected the ' larger then 5Mb option ' but still nothing :S anyone else getting this?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
When I get home I will have a look at setting it up again, Im not sure how good an iPhone would be at folding :cool:

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah, lately there haven't been enough wu's to go around but if you set the -advmethod flag you may get something. or not :p

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
sweet :D welcome to the team in that case,

sidenote, hmmm mines been fetching a new WU for the last half hour, my iStat is showing no net usage or downloads :S any ideas whats going on?

hmm the log is showing no more work left :S i've just restarted F@H and selected the ' larger then 5Mb option ' but still nothing :S anyone else getting this?

Restarting should fix it but it may cough a few times or you can get rid of the queue.dat file to get it going again. if you are using the terminal start it with "./fah6 -config" and when you get to the part where it asks if you want to change advanced setting say yes and use defaults for everything, except say yes to scientific wu's, and it should give you something to work on. Scientific wu's are alpha and beta stage wu's which could have problems but usually finish ok for me.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
still not getting nothing lol my ps3 on the other hand seems to have stepped up a gear, i was on 13 completed WU's yesterday and it's jumped to 20 today :O seems weird lol my ps3 not having any trouble getting the units lol

^^ oh no i'm using the gui version, i'm rubbish with out point and click haha
i've restarted the program now about 10 times, rebooted my computer once, and my router, but still nothing lol

*edit* finally, i turned on ' no preferences ' and it found something lol it dont look big WU, so should be rolling :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.