Folding SMP3 is out!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by SciFrog, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SciFrog macrumors 6502

Download the new 6.29 console client, and you might get a core a3 unit.
    Got one but on my slowest computer... So small bonus likely. The next unit (an a1) had trouble starting on its own...

Instead of showing four threads, you see only one in the activity monitor. Also they abandoned MPI so units should not crash when changing network anymore, or restarting. Could not test that yet.

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Since it's not like my team will catch up to team MR ever anyway, I'll go ahead and throw in some pro tips:

-You will not get one unless you enable -advmethods
    -You will not get a bonus without a passkey
    -The benchmarking system has changed, making these essentially worthless unless you get the bonuses
    -Dual core machines will probably get less PPD than with A2s, despite the bonus
    -Only one instance is needed to max out all your cores, even on a 2009 octo Mac Pro
    -Adding a number after -smp is not necessary, the client will auto-detect your number of CPUs, and pass that number to the core automatically. You may want to keep it around in case you get an A2 WU though.
    -You must fold 10 with a passkey to get bonuses. A2s can count if they were on the same key, but A1s do not.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

5. SciFrog thread starter macrumors 6502

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, I am quite happy with my current team. I much prefer that forum to this one. I have quite a few gripes with how this place is run, and have no desire to join the team. But I'm derailing this thread now with my complaints, so I'll shush now.

7. SciFrog thread starter macrumors 6502

All my computers are running a3 except for the bigadv one. One forced restart resulted in the unit resuming and finishing correctly. PPD are lower though...
    What happened to mc68k? Our team drop is mostly just him.

It would be nice to get a mention on the main MacRumors page, with just a few bigadv users, we could do really well and fend off the two spots we are going to loose soon enough...

8. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I was wondering if I should join the MR team. I previously did some packages to another team with my PS3 but I no longer have any affinity to that team.

I have a 2.26GHz octo-MP which can apparently run FAH all day without the fans acting up at all. Since I'm pretty new at this, are there any specific adjustments I should make? I have the 6.29 SMP-console version and I just switched on the big packages and advanced methods using the configonly-flag but I'm otherwise going vanilla.

9. SciFrog thread starter macrumors 6502

Welcome!

You need to run -bigadv -smp 16 for your config, it should do really well, 20k PPD at least. And these machines can run 24/7 like a breeze.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

we'd love to have you!

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

work politics plus my home hackie motherboard dying. ive been running XP on an old AMD computer for a while, and it sucks. just got my new motherboard in last night.

i may never get to that output level again, time will tell

12. SciFrog thread starter macrumors 6502

Wel Folding on work computers is a touchy subject. Personally I would never do it... But everyone's case is different.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm sorry to hear that. at least you got those points while you could. hopefully you'll get this new motherboard up and running soon!

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

hey designed, i see you are folding right along. how is that mac pro doing for you? what's your avg time per frame?

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

Hey, I know it is kind of weird to run a PC on a macrumors team, but I have an old Pentium 4 2.8ghz (single core, hyperthreaded) machine lying around. It is always on but not DOING anything important. Is that enough 'oomph' to even be worth adding to the team?

Or are we strictly mac only? :)

16. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I was about to ask the same question. Dell PC (Gasps.), running Windows XP (Usually Linux nowadays. The closest resemblance to OS X's perfect world of tranquility.), also Pentium too, 2.6 or 8. Dual Core.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh we'd love to have both of you join the team. there are plenty of us here that run pcs for folding. by all means, fold away!

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'll figure it out and get it setup tonight!

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright! thanks!

20. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

As you can see I'm not too picky about using Macs only for folding, and ARN hasn't come to kick my b*tt for using Windows :eek: I have spent quite a bit on Folding equipment and if I spent it all on Apple they might get the idea they are the only game around... just kidding ;) I was using Linux for all the other machines but when I got some gpu's to fold with I had to BUY 2 copies of windows to get the gpu's to fold. I'll go back to Linux as soon as GPU3 is out and running on that platform.

As for wherther it's ethical to fold for MacRumors with non Macs, that would be up to ARN and I don't think he would have any trouble with it since this is medical research we're doing, which is a very good thing.

In the end it is up to you but I do hope you join us to fold away.

Craig

21. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

Thanks, I think I knew most of this but it helps the newbies to post it once in a while. If you can't beat 'em join 'em :D

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

OK I setup my name and 3446 team number and it appears to be doing...something? All the above is completely greek to me, do I need to do some of this to? This PC is just 'on' all day so it might as well be saving lives.

23. akm3 macrumors 68020

What in God's name is a 'Core a3' unit, and why do I want one?

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

It's the newer units with the new SMP2. You want it b/c it gives a bonus if you complete it before the deadline

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Is the deadline the preferred deadline or the final deadline? I understand these new A3 projects have a final deadline of 6 days and preferred of 3 days if I'm not mistaken