Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
i know its stupid but I'm having trouble figuring out the two ways to fold the smart cover.

1. When you choose to fold it in the stand/triangle route, is it safe to fold it so the soft touch side is the one making the contact with the surface or is folding it so the microfiber is on the outside the safest way. Seems kind of silly that the "correct way" would be the one with microfiber facing out as it could pick up all the dirt and grime from tables.

2. When a person folds the cover back to use in hand, how should it be folded. Is it Accordian style or do you fold it so only one Panal is soft touch while the other two are the microfiber side.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
i know its stupid but I'm having trouble figuring out the two ways to fold the smart cover.

1. When you choose to fold it in the stand/triangle route, is it safe to fold it so the soft touch side is the one making the contact with the surface or is folding it so the microfiber is on the outside the safest way. Seems kind of silly that the "correct way" would be the one with microfiber facing out as it could pick up all the dirt and grime from tables.

2. When a person folds the cover back to use in hand, how should it be folded. Is it Accordian style or do you fold it so only one Panal is soft touch while the other two are the microfiber side.

The proper way for 1) is to fold it with the microfibre is on the outside, but for exactly the reasons you describe I fold it the "other way". The magnets on the official Apple cover seem sufficiently strong to keep it all together. As for 2) I just fold the whole thing back flush against the back of the iPad.

Reactions: ipodlover77

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
The proper way for 1) is to fold it with the microfibre is on the outside, but for exactly the reasons you describe I fold it the "other way". The magnets on the official Apple cover seem sufficiently strong to keep it all together. As for 2) I just fold the whole thing back flush against the back of the iPad.

I ended up just selling it to a MR member. I really loathe the way that apple designed this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.