Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so i wonder how a Core i7-860 will do with folding? the top of the line iMacs seems to be shipping with this processor, and from looking at reviews of the processor, it seems to be a little faster than the core i7-920

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah i ran across that review when searching. it's only slightly faster though, and a little harder to overclock. but i bet it would be good at folding. i wonder if many people are using them?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah i ran across that review when searching. it's only slightly faster though, and a little harder to overclock. but i bet it would be good at folding. i wonder if many people are using them?

I wonder if cuda would run on the 9400? graphics chip? that would help get some extra ppd. Too bad you can't change graphics boards in that monster iMac, it seems like it could use faster graphics for that large monitor.

ProfDrSilver

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
TO, ON, CA
Okay... maybe it is because I'm new here.... is this a Mac only thing? I fold on W7 using CPU and GPU.... the max points that you get on your CPU = 1920 for 1 WU

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Mac and Linux.
These units need at least 8 cores (real or virtual) to run.
They are 25k points and have a very short deadline with a bonus if you send them back faster than 4 days.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I wonder if cuda would run on the 9400? graphics chip? that would help get some extra ppd. Too bad you can't change graphics boards in that monster iMac, it seems like it could use faster graphics for that large monitor.

yeah i know. a better video card option would be nice

I've been doing nothing but GPU folding even with a Q6600 or Core i5 750. :(

what card do you have?

I predict 45 mins per frame, 15k PPD.

but wouldn't 45 min a frame take about 3.125 days to complete, plus the upload time, so about 3.15 days? wouldn't you still get a bonus for that?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I encountered those bad things. I did have it working under Vista Ultimate 64-bit last year though. I can't seem to get it to work again.

oh wow. i'm sorry to hear that. yeah i think i've actually got it to work a couple months ago, but it didn't work all that great

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so i hate to bring back an old thread, but i'm still wondering what kind of numbers people are getting folding with an i7-860? i've read some numbers online, and they seem to be less than the 920s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.