Folio Idea...suggestion

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mercury7, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

I posted this in a folio discussion but wanted to give it a thread in hope a manufacturer might see it and have an ah ha moment :)

I have been looking at folio cases for weeks to consider for my 6+..... but the thing I can not figure out is why NO manufacturer makes one that has a cut out in the flap for the camera and magnets to hold the flap flat against the back side while in use...... I mean seriously....it seems like a common sense useability issue.

When the plus was first announced I hoped Moshi would make a version of their versa case for it... the origami one that has the same fuctionality I am discussing for the ipad mini...minus the camera cut out..... I wrote them and their reply was a simple no

2. raffaelegjr macrumors newbie

I have been looking for that as well but I cant seem to find it either. I was hoping that apple would make a smart cover case like they did for the iPad but they didn't. Why hasn't anyone thought about the camera with these flip cases.

3. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you...nice to know I am not alone in this.... the moshi versa really would have been perfect for the plus.... the only engineering feat would be to incorporate metal points in the back of the case for the magnets to stick to since the phone is not dsigned for the sleep /awake feature the iPad mini has..... still though its not that complicated...especialy if your useing leather and can just stich them in

----------

just to elaborate for anyone reading this and does not understand..... a folio without the feature I am suggesting is just a royal pain with the flap...flaping everywhere while your trying to take pictures or actually make a phone call..... but on the other side of the coin...if you have a 5.5" screen it would be very nice to cover it during transport

----------

link to moshi versa.... hands down the best case made for the mini..... when the cover is folded back it clings flush to the back of the case.... if made for the plus and had the hole cut for the camera it would be the ultimate plus case.... they would sell millions...missed opportunity by that company in my opinion
    http://www.moshi.com/case-stand-versacover-origami-ipad-mini-retina#blue

4. wachenroder macrumors newbie

ive been thinking of a folio case because it looks nice, protects the screen, and i could put a card or two in the pocket..

, but also wondering how annoying the flap may get during times i'm using it for photographs or gaming.

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Does sound like a good idea.

I have this case orderd, it has a workaround for the issue by letting you easily slide the phone in and out. The phone is in it's own case inside of the folio and is held in with a magnet.

http://www.dockartisan.com/collections/cases

Attached Files:

6. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for posting that...it does look nice but it would probably be huge with the plus installed.... I am going for thin so It will still be pocketable if possible.... I wrote Kavaj also about their dallas case.... seems very thin and minimal.... however it has the same short comings mentioned above.... im at a loss... one thing is for sure.... the case I want will not be available when my phone arrives so I am going to have to compromise something....thought of trying to buy some thin magnets and modifying the kavaj case myself

----------

if the kavaj case could not be easily modified I suppose one could cut the leather where if folds an sew in some sort of fasteners... and literally rip off the cover when you need to... photography etc...velcro would suck but there is probably some typ of nylon zipper or something you could incorporate

7. foreplay macrumors member

How about emailing kavaj?

It appears they have a design change on the dallas for the 6. In 5s they had a soft leather phone attachment. Now they have a composite type fitting. The 6 pluses also aren't available on amazon until Oct 18th. Are they even made? All things considered they might be open to experimenting.

8. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did email them.... my initial email explained what I wanted.... the reply just said sorry they could not do special orders :)...... I did write back though and asked if they could consider my design for future products
    ~~~~
    although not perfect, the dallas design does lend itself best to modification for what I want.... note the pockets meant for the credit card could easily house a metal card and so the trick would be to put a refridegerater type magnet behind the phone for it to grab on to when flipped..... if that works then just cut a hole for the camera, stitch around the hole and voila.... perfect case

----------

do you foresee any danger of a weak magnet near the back of the phone causeing any issues... the non attactive side would be right next to the back of the phone

----------

i cant tell from the pictures but it might be possible to slide a magnet in between the leather and the polycarbonate shell the phone goes in... and I suppose to be safe you could put the metal card there and put the magnet part in the flap.... the case already has one magnet along the side of the flap that keeps the case closed over the screen

----------

I sent Tom at KAVAJ a link to this thread so if anyone has any further elaborations now would be a good time :)

9. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The Modal folio cases at Best Buy have magnets.

10. Chrisxenofontos macrumors regular

Chrisxenofontos