Folklore n Eireann

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I gave Resistance FOM a little pounding for it's 'liberal' use of the UK setting and it's complete balls of a map between chapters with counties and cities all in the wrong place.... So now its Folklores turn.

OK.... So folklore has an Irish theme basis but I just have to get this off my plate because it's really beginning to tick me off.

HOW ABOUT HIRING 'REAL' IRSH ACTORS TO VOICE THE CHARACTERS ?

Ellen ? Her accent is less authentic than the tripe accents in Gangs of New York. At any moment I expected her to come out with Top O The Morning To Ye!!! :rolleyes:

Boatman in cutscene. So we have Irish boatman who has been living on the outer hebrides have we ? That accent was simply appalling.

Also can someone tell the design team, amazingly in Ireland not every sign, post, pillar, piece of clothing has celtic bloody symbols on it :rolleyes:

Oh and also Scarecrow ? WTF is he doing with a Union Jack vest on in Ireland ? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Taunting us about the famine no doubt ;)

Also why the hell couldn't they get someone to tell the actors how to pronounce Irish names like Sidhe ?

Oh and DANNY BOY playing in the pub!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    DANNY BOY IS A FRICKIN SCOTTISH SONG! I guess it could have been worse, they could have had Boyzone on the radio :p

I guess they thought it went with Ellen's KILT!! KILTS ARE SCOTTISH!! ARGHHHH!!!!!

Also no matter how bruised and derlicit the cottages in Doolin look and how dirt track the road seems, they have forgotten the all important POT HOLES!! I mean has the design team ever seen road outside of Dublin. We have pot holes big enough to bury your grandma in out here ;):D

Oh and HENGE!! Err sorry that's UK centric again getting inspiration from Stone henge. We have ring forts and stone circles. We have dolmens and such... we don't have henge's... :rolleyes:

What irks more is that some subtleties they have right such as speech bubbles... The one correct thing they did use and it wasn't just for shortening the text was the characters use of the word 'ye' instead of you. We use that all the time here. Really show some attempt at authenticity, and yet they blow it with bloody stupid things everywhere else.

Oh and the Scarecrow sounds like a combination of Podge & Rodge

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=podge+and+rodge&search=Search

2. Queso macrumors G4

You should have seen the ideas they rejected. At one point all the characters (speaking Welsh) were going to dance in a line without moving their arms, whilst a leprechaun frolicked in the shamrocks at the end of a rainbow.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ LMAO

There's nothing like a little man in green frolicking with himself :D
    Whether friend of Dorothy or not :D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heard the "Irish" accents in Heroes series 2 yet? Yea. I'm a little sick of the media getting accents all wrong.

Charlie from Lost was supposed to be from Manchester :rolleyes:

It'd be wonderful if these guys actually did research, then they'd know about the above issues and learn that accents in the UK and Ireland are very diverse. You walk a mile in either direction from here and you'll get completely different accents! Yorkshire, Lancashire, Oldham, Manchester, Salford and the literal million+1 variations of them. *le sigh*

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know how you guys feel....I watched that movie After the sunset....was shot in the Bahamas and they juked the accent right up...I couldn't finish the movie...made me laugh.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367479/

Bless

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Official bad accents thread.

So who made Folklore and RfoM, where are they based?

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I thought that Dominic Monaghan, who played Charlie, was actually from Manchester, or at least spend most of his life there.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Oh yeah those are hilarious. I also love the way the Irish characters are all hardcore criminals who live in a pub :D

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Folklore is Game Republic so I assume Japan

Resistance is Insomniac so USA. At least the voices / accents in Resistance were ok - just geography that was so wrong. It was like a UK developer making a game and putting LA on the East Coast.

and your point being ;) :p

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Supposedly so, but that woman who turns up has a much more realistic Manc accent. I don't know if they were trying to "soften" Dominics accent but it's a bit messed up on the show.

Can I say Brad Pit in "Snatch" :rolleyes:

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Have you ever conversed with a real Irish knacker? Surprisingly as bad as his accent really was, it could have been worse. It was mostly uninteligable mutterings...

They do have a completely different accent of their own, and I just so happen to have some leather sofas I was sellng to your neighbour boss, I can let them go for a deal sham!!!! :D

12. Queso macrumors G4

Well, for a start the pub has no horses in it. How unrealistic is that? :p

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'm sorry, but all of you prattling away about bad accents seem to have forgotten our BAO [Bad Accent Overlord], Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

To be fair though, one could successfully argue that you have to actually attempt an accent before you can be said to have done it poorly.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

They just assumed you were too drunk to notice.

Go eat your potatoes ;)

*runs away*

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!!! That made me giggle