Folks are "pissed" over missing pet features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJFlash, Sep 26, 2008.

1. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi Gang,

I'm honestly quite confused as to how anyone could be "pissed" just because of a feature that they would personally like to see isn't implemented. Do you also buy a car, and then get pissed off because it doesn't have a cupholder where you want one? Do you get pissed off over the interest you are paying at the bank, which you signed up for?

I can understand folks saying things like "If Apple's willing to add new features, I'd love to see XXX". I can even understand if folks are disappointed that a feature that was promised - i.e. push notification - is delayed. Even then, though, "pissed off"?

It's a mystery to me as to how many posters here somehow feel that they deserve their pet feature, and feel self-justified getting pissed off when they don't get it... yet.

I can only hope that more people recognize that getting new features at all is a completely groovy thing (as long as they work OK). None of us are entitled to new features!

It would be great if more folks took the time to think this through. Recommend new stuff... absolutely! Losing your cool over it? Please don't!

Best Regards!
    Mark

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Honestly though -- I am PISSED there's no video conferencing in my iPhone 3G.

I bought it anyway, thinking that maybe it was in there but they were just hiding it or something; but they weren't!! WTF APPLE?!?

Also, I left the phone on my night stand last night ... and the friggin thing got dust on it! RIGHT ON IT!

Get it together apple ... get it together.

Or else.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

thats a laugh and a half:), but yes, I agree with both of you, we got what we payed for, deal with it.

4. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

I definitely agree with you all. I bought the iPhone for what it was for, and of course I expected software updates. But there was nothing I would expect in that software that I bought the phone for. I can agree with Push though, but still, be patient. They want to get it 100% right the first time, and I'd rather have a well tested and written feature than a hasted one. I'm not in a hurry to get that feature! The phone is indeed for what you bought it, be happy you at least get software updates, you don't see that often on phones.

5. Jestered macrumors 6502

I disagree! Apple should know better than to try to pull a fast one on me. I hate seeing the fingerprints on my phone. And you should see it when I'm eating fried chicken! Like I'm not gonna use my phone when I'm eating fried chicken APPLE!

The most important function I want to see in a future update is that my iPhone wipes its own @$$. How hard is that to do???? If that is not implemented soon, I will go back to my BlackBerry. I'm pretty sure my BlackBerry could wipe it's own @$$.

I'm fed up!

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

WTF APPLE why does my old samsung flip phone not have multitouch?! come ON every phone has a touchscreen these days. it's a BASIC feature.

come on, apple.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

hahaha

I got into a car today, and the seatbelt wouldn't move (it was in that locked state, and I had to jiggle it a bit before it undid itself) -- WTF APPLE?!

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I just spit on my monitor, HAHA!

9. ScrewzLuse macrumors member

Not so much. I would get annoyed if my car had no cup holders because they were deemed obsolete technology. I'm not pissed off about it but I am kind of annoyed that simple features that exist on most other smart phones haven't been implemented yet (MMS and copy and past come to mind). It doesn't really piss me off, just kind of an annoyance that I definitely wouldn't mind having.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya, for sure - I don't think anyone is arguing that.

I guess this thread is just a release after all the "OMG Apple sux! Where is (feature X)?!" threads that have gone down recently.

Several sports cars don't, in fact, feature cup holders - I'm sure the McLaren forums aren't full of people bitching about it, however. ;)

11. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

PAID

Sorry, I had to do it. If you would have posted from your phone the auto-correct would have caught this. Turns out it is helpful.

12. ScrewzLuse macrumors member

lol.. True. When I pay twice my yearly salary for a vehicle, I probably wouldn't want anyone bringing drinks in it anyway. ;)

13. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I don't understand when people are confused when people want features that they don't need that are possible by software updates. If youo buy a car and it has no cup holder thats one thing. If the salesman tells you it could have a cup holder in that spot in the future free of charge to seal the deal that is quite another.

Apple needs to just say there is no cup holder.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Apple should consider itself very lucky that it has so many people who, in almost any given market they enter, will pick the Apple product over the competition, even if/when the competition is superior.

It should also consider itself very lucky that these people complain, yet continue to buy Apple products - which is the ideal scenario. It gets good feedback on what customers want, yet doesn't lose sales.

As we have seen before, Apple isn't oblivious to public opinion; it also reacts to it. Feedback (both positive and negative) does have an effect.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Whooley made a very sensible post. I applaud it, well said.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I hate bad analogies :)

It's not a car, and built-in cupholders are not the same as easily changeable software.

The iPhone can be, and is, updated often. It has thousands of applications available. Moreover, it is pushed by many fans who claim "anything is possible" with it.

All of that easily makes people think that common apps would be available, whether from Apple or third parties. And guess what? If you go outside of Apple's control, they usually are.

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I guess the part of it is that most users may not understand what all needs to happen in order to make some things realities.

Turn by Turn GPS might have power and antennae (or possibly legal) requirments we're unaware of. Support for 1,000s of apps on the device might have UI and indexing issues we're unaware. Copy/pasting might have memory sharing and UI issues we're unaware of. And so on and so forth. I'm sure the iPhone team has a to-do list a thousand items long, and each of those items have to be given a priority and feasibility rating.

It's easy for armchair developers to say "ok apple, blow my mind ... and go!"

19. Doju macrumors 68000

Incorrect analogy.

It would be comparable to buying a car without any cupholders whatsoever, when all the other cars out there have boasted them for many many years. This is the case with iPhone when many basic features have been left out for ... Well, we don't know why. They'd be fairly easy to implement afterall.

20. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

If a competitor phone is superior (for your needs) why wouldnt you go for that?
    I am fairly new to apple products and when i look at all the other phones available I take into account all the things that are important to me. e.g looks, functions, quality etc

I did this before getting the 1st Gen phone and I considered it streets ahead of any other phone. They released the 3G and I really really want turn by turn. I'm not angry that it isnt on there because if I really wanted a phone with satnav that much i would have gone with something else. even though I really want turn by turn I look at other phones and the iphone is still streets ahead in my opinion

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Because a competitor says they don't have it now and makes vague promises it will.

My car doesn't have push for example and the sales person says it will be here in September.

22. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I can understand people being pissed off at promises that something will come to the phone with updates and they havent yet. The phone has only been out a while though so I am sure most of us will be satisfied at some point in the near future (although the guy wanting the drunk mode may be dissappointed!!:D:D:D:D)

PS I could do with that Drunk mode right now. I feel the urge to send an abusive text to my boss......