Folks with 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkwolf, Jan 14, 2018.

1. tkwolf macrumors 6502

How is your machine holding up?
    I have an old macbook pro (mid 2012) with 6GB of RAM that I intend to use for school.

Most tasks I usually just do the usual browsing, multiple tabs with reddit, youtube, twitter etc. and sometimes I have around 10 tabs open simultaneously
    Spotify
    Itunes
    VLC
    and school apps like word and pages, as well as powerpoint/keynote
    Mail app

With that in mind, I intend to wait for the next refresh of macbook pros before buying due to my fear of the keyboard issue.

Will my 6GB of RAM hold up? I have an HDD worth 500GB in it.

My main machine is an iMac but since I'll be moving, I'll be using this good old macbook pro (mid 2012) and would like some advice.

I don't think ill be swapping the HDD for SDD bec I stripped three screws on this so lol

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 6GB for light usage, will be ok, the machine won't be any speed demon, but you'll be able to run office.

3. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

I barely use the machine, so I have in no idea on how well 6GB will serve me for the whole year. I do notice so far that it feels slow, but I really want to wait for the next generation due to the issues I have been reading around here and on reddit.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

For your usage the RAM you have is absolutely, positively fine. If the machine is running extremely slow, it is likely the HDD (or the SATA cable) is the culprit. In your usage scenario, upgrading the RAM might have some impact or it may have absolutely zero impact.

You can check your RAM utilization in the Activity Monitor - the Memory Pressure graph is the one that is the tell-all of RAM usage (or lack of).

5. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense regarding the HDD. I'm gonna try to hold on to this as long as I can whilst I wait for a new release. Thanks for the input :)

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Well prepare to wait. There’s a article on the front page saying no new refresh for 2018.

7. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Gulp.

It'd be nice at least if they issue a redesigned keyboard for those who will be getting their laptops repaired (wishful thinking).

8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

6gb should be ok.
    If you get "memory alerts" ... well... run with fewer things open.

If you stripped a few screw heads... order a new set of screws.
    If you stripped the screw socket threads -- well, that's a problem.
    Put the SSD in, you won't regret it.
    And this time, use the right tools for the job (Phillips #00 and TORX T-6).

9. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I have a 2010 MacBook Air with 4GB fixed ram 1.7GHz i5.

it copes with my work stuff really well.
    not had any freezing or anything yet.

but an air has an SSD, so I would suggest an SSD upgrade.
    here in UK a 240/256 SSD is around £70

I am looking to purchase a 2012 13" pro later in year (or newer model depending on funds).
    Ram should be relatively cheap on your model.

I had 8GB on a 2010 MacBook and it never used more than 6GB and with an SSD zero swap file.

10. jeyf macrumors 6502a

to the OP; "your super smart to wait":
    you must do what your want but the mac book key board issues are bad. I notice the KB issue is intermittent. No telling which keys will work on a given day. Difficult to tell when the problem will start up and some days are totally perfect. Apple Care is expensive and you will need it for the life of the device. This happens in a time consumer products are super reliable.

-you might hold off on osx or app updates until your sure they work for you.
    -you might buy a mid cost Dell. We dont know where all this is going and a Microsoft experience may be marketable.
    -i consult on occasion and clients are starting to make comments on my MBP.

11. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

CS student with 4 gigs in a 2013 rMBP, good enough for light software development (nothing massive), data analysis, Spotify, Minecraft, Affinity Photo (just hobbyist stuff)

There are things that bring it down fast, e.g. multiple Docker containers running, but I'm aware of the limitations.

Your usage shouldn't be a problem.