Follow-up: iPhone 4 Reception Issue? [Video]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FFArchitect, Jun 24, 2010.

1. FFArchitect macrumors regular

FFArchitect

A follow-up to our original post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=947585):

We called Apple's service department. We initially spoke to a service representative who was not aware of the issue. He then transferred us to a senior service representative who was aware of the widespread issue and had seen the article on Gizmodo after we cited our video here and on Gizmodo.

The senior rep, who was very receptive and helpful, asked a number of questions on how we tested it and asked if we did a full restore or not. He asked if we had tested it with various communication switches (BT, WiFi, etc) off and on, and we responded that we had previously preformed all tasks he requested of us. He also asked for the model number in Settings.

Apple then did agree to send a new iPhone 4 out for replacement overnight to us (with Apple's Advanced Replacement policy) while we used the iPhone 4 we currently have. He put an authorization charge on our credit card (to hold the amount) while the new phone is being shipped out and ours is being returned to them.

The senior rep did indicate that they will flag the phone to go to specific engineers to examine it, and requested to receive all accessories that came with this iPhone 4, which will come in a separate shipment. Having replaced items with Apple before, we went through some additional steps for this particular replacement.

He did say that if the problem persists (and if the problem is determined to be a widespread problem) that we could return the second and refer to the original case ID given to us in this call.

So now we're waiting for the replacement and eager to see the issue resolved and maybe see if this issue is isolated to this particular phone, which of course that could only be proven if the issue resolves itself on the replacement phone.

2. twelve56 macrumors member

Was anything mentioned about the yellow screen issue's?

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

great to hear, please let us know how it goes!

4. btdvox macrumors newbie

I'm really hoping that "higher ups" already know about this issue from all the posts. For some reason people arent getting that this is affecting all iPhones with iOS4. I have tried this on my wifes iPhone 3G (same issue) and my iPhone 3GS (same issue). It is not related to just iPhone 4. Though the 3G and 3GS never go to "searching..." which I am assuming is because the antennas are directly outside the phone.

5. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Great that it is being replaced :) but on that issue. A friend has just asked me on msn about the dropping signal problem him and his parents have. He has an iPhone 3G and his parents both have an iPhone 3GS and when they hold the phone they are losing signal. He says this has just started happeneing since he installed iOS 4. Could this also be a software issue? My iPhone 3GS does drop slightly also and it has OS 4.

6. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

False, I've run multiple tests with two iPhone 4s side by side and there is no problem with the iPhones I received when holding your finger over the band. Whether connected to WiFi, 3G, or Edge.

I'm having a splendid time with my iPhone 4, umad bro?

7. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

The issue isnt false you just might of been lucky there are many videos over the internet about it.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because it’s on the internet does not make it a common problem. Just sayin’.

9. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

I know the issue isn't false, I'm talking about the statement made

" For some reason people arent getting that this is affecting all iPhones with iOS4."

I bolded the word in question <3

10. btdvox macrumors newbie

umad bro? haha about what? that your having a good time with your iPhone 4? I will be too on Monday, what difference does that make. Please don't make childish posts. If you have nothing good to say, well say nothing at all!

That being said, one or two out of 600000 isn't enough to justify not saying "all".

11. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

All my posts have been more than relevant x10 over yours. Go home child. :p

12. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

English is my second language and I'm pretty sure I know a better definition of "all", lol.

And if its such a big deal to you, then realize Apple did it on purpose so you'd buy the case, so go spend $34 or whatever to have it shipped to you in a week ;)

13. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Travel out to the fringe area of the cell site, where the signal is just at the 5-bar level. Then the issue will affect your phone.

Folks, if you put your hand next to a cell-phone antenna, the performance of the antenna will suffer. If you put your hand on the antenna, it will suffer even more. Whether it suffers enough to cause a noticeable problem depends on several factors, the principal one being how far you are from the cell site.

When you phone shows "5 bars," the actual signal it's receiving may be just enough to give 5 bars, or it may be ten times as much (or more!) In the latter case, antenna degradation is unlikely to matter.

Remember back when cell phones had antennas sticking up above the case? There was a reason the design engineers did that, and the reason was to keep it away from your hand!

14. Dizparks macrumors newbie

So I have pandora playing and wanted to test out the no signal thing. I was holding the phone, saw the bars go away, and eventually pop up with "No Service" I let two songs play through before putting the phone back down. In some cases it seems to just be a random issue with displaying the Signal Bars.

But I've also tested holding it, letting it go to No Service, and then not being able to load a webpage. It's really odd.

15. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Maybe it's just the new software being too sensative when showing how much signal you have on the screen?

16. cmaier macrumors G3

No. In my case, on two iPhone 4's, it actually drops the calls when the bars go to 0.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

18. FFArchitect thread starter macrumors regular

FFArchitect

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yes, he was supposed to email me, checking that now. I don't know the name of the first tech, but he said he just spoke to someone and forwarded them to Level 2, and told me that the person before me detailed the problem in depth as I did. Then proceeded to take my call to the next level up.

Could be someone else, but who knows. :)

20. bahooki macrumors regular

Here's a tip for everyone: if you ever see someone write "umad bro", dump them immediately into your ignore list. They have nothing worthwhile to say about anything.

21. Blaenk macrumors member

That could be a possibility. I have personally made it lose all bars with wifi off and web pages loaded just as fast as when I have full bars. Also, just now I made it lose all bars and then initiated a 5-10 minute call which worked flawlessly, so I do still have a feeling it's something related to the software.

22. FFArchitect thread starter macrumors regular

FFArchitect