Follow-up to this guy's rant about Facebook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Feb 16, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I found this post to be hilarious. I just had to add to it.

http://iamsheamus.com/2008/05/08/the-unwritten-rules-of-facebook-or-“six-reasons-why-it-sucks”/

----

Okay first, The fake names. It is NOT cool when you change your name to be "Glass P. Baybiie". Not only does it make it impossible for old friends to find you, but it's just really freakin' annoying. Don't even get me STARTED with the ƒ0®∑i9n ©h@r∑ç†e®s in your name. All it does is make you look retarded.

Secondly, it is NOT cool to use the Relationship Status tool to marry your friend. Don't you think it looks just a BIT weird when you are 17 years old and all of your friends statuses are set to Married to some other girl??

Third. Calling someone a stalker if they comment on more than ten percent of your photos. What did you possibly THINK facebook was for? NOT looking at profiles?

Fourth and last. Uploading EVERY DAMN PHOTO on your camera.
    Is it THAT HARD to sift through them and delete the ones that are obviously blurry? What is going through your head when you post an album of extremely blurry cellphone pictures of three girls wearing minimal clothing, jumping around on what appears to be a bed?

//Rant.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

High horse, get off it.

It's just the internet, don't take it so seriously.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

After the recent Terms of Service changes, I have slowly started removing any "excess" personal information that was on my profile, and severely restricted the news feed items that get propagated to my friends. I will also be untagging myself or removing some of the photos as well.

4. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Facebook is just one of those fads - once it was Myspace but then like every other, it got crap so they all moved to Bebo, then Facebook. It's only a matter of time before 'we' all move onto something else. I think they lose their 'good' status once the pervs and creeps get onto it.:rolleyes:

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe a certain group of Facebook users, I don't use it to show off my fave vampire type or use ridiculous apps. I use it to keep in touch with my school, college and university friends. For me (and likely many others) its not a fad, it's simply an extension of email.

6. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

You're right, but what I meant was that I'm sure before Facebook and Bebo came about, we used Myspace for the same thing (apart from some I guess). I use Facebook too, just because friends of mine are on there. I also do not use the crappy superwalls and stupid apps either - I quite like it, but I still think something with exactly the same purpose but given a different name will be the next platform we all use for this sort of stuff.

Just my 2 cents. :)

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

LOL, both at the original post and your comments. Fakes names and fake relationships always irk me just a little bit, too. ;)

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well, all the stuff that is already on there is mirrored and backed up on their servers so it won't really matter if you remove it but I agree, I have been getting really cautious as well after the change in Terms of Service.

9. followme macrumors regular

followme

I never got into MySpace, but the problem with it was that they allowed too much customization, and allowed people to make monstrously horrible pieces of garbage that couldn't even pretend to be a readable website. So much crap on the screen that you just didn't care anymore.

Facebook finally cleaned up their act a bit after allowing people to set up some 30+ applications that all got jammed onto their front page, making for a beastly site (in a bad way). As long as they keep the main pages for people relatively clean and sensible, it will remain popular.

10. ILBandit macrumors regular

I noticed a note today on Facebook, saying basically... that after all the letters, and backlash, they are doing away with the new terms, and going back to the old original ones.
    I guess enough people complaining scared them a little, and they gave in. :rolleyes:

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Correction, it did say what you posted but with the attitude of for now so they can look into it. I saw the same message with that added twist.