Following restart - delay before internet available

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mattww, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I connect my mac pro via Ethernet (I have airport but it is switched off). The Ethernet port is configured at the top of the priority list (Ethernet 2 is below airport) and have it configured with a manual IP address and my router details. The last few times I have restarted my Mac I noticed that it was several minutes before an internet connection was available. Mail and Safari would fail to connect.

Each time before the restart the internet connection was working normally. After restarting and logging in I couldn't even ping the router with network utility yet system preferences detects the cable is connected.

Any ideas?

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Don't restart? :D

Maybe it has something to do with using a manual IP address? Try turning it on DHCP ? See if it is ready to go sooner ?

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

The restart may not be resetting the NIC chips (no power loss to the chips), and you're waiting for timeouts to complete. Shutdown, wait, then power the system on does reset them on boot.

It might also be related your ISP connection. I ran into this just yesterday, and had to reset the DSL modem. That solved it for me, but it really resembled the NIC's not resetting properly. (But mine was doing it either as a restart, or full shutdown, then power on). That was my clue to the real problem.

Any error messages in the logs?
    (Might help narrow it down). :)

4. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

I couldn't see any obvious errors in the console. The next time I restart I will try logging in as my admin user and see if I get the same in that account.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think it would be worthwhile to reset the DSL or cable modem as well.
    Worst case, it can't hurt. :p

6. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

I had to restart for the Safari update so I tried loging in as my admin user had got the same symptoms. I have reset my router so will see if the problem persists on the next restart.