Font Book and MacKeeper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mike97208, May 3, 2012.

1. mike97208 macrumors member

I have a MacBook running OS 10.5.8. I have Font Book in my Applications folder.

I want to activate a certain font. Through my HD icon I navigated to Font Book.
    I selected the font I want to activate and then clicked on the "+" button at the bottom and a pulldown menu came down asking me to select a folder for the font. I selected one on my desktop and clicked "open" but nothing happened and the font was not added.

What's the problem?

Another problem I am having is that I keep getting a pop-up for MacKeeper which I guess is a virus. It appears in different forms. How can I make this go away?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where did you get the font? Are you sure it's not corrupt or damaged? What file extension does it have?
    It's not a virus, as there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few trojans. It's most likely a pop-up advertisement for a useless app. Get an ad-blocker for your browser.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's no need to navigate to Font Book to add a font. Simply double-clicking the font file itself should open Font Book and prompt to install. Does this not work with that file? As GGJstudios said, it could simply be a corrupt file.

jW

4. MacSawdust macrumors member

The easy way. (Works in Lion)

Double click font file.
    Click on the pop-up dialog button asking to install it.
    There is no step three.

5. mike97208 thread starter macrumors member

It is an Open Type font. It has an ".otf" extension. I can't remember where I got it.

It still doesn't open, so maybe it is corrupt.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, I'd suspect that. Try downloading it again, if you can remember where you got it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't have to remember where you got the font. You know its name. Google the font by name.

8. mike97208 thread starter macrumors member

Found it. It's Bickham Script Pro. What now?

Ok, I found the typestyle at the website linked below.

The typestyle is call: Bickham Script Pro and has an "rar" tag. It is in my download folder. What do I do with it now?

http://www.4shared.com

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A .rar is a compressed file, like a .zip file. Double-click it and it should unzip, revealing the font file. Double-click the font file to install it.

10. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

And in case you don't have an app to decompress the RAR file, use this: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22774/the-unarchiver