Font Book! Help urgently needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akidd, Jun 18, 2008.

1. akidd macrumors regular

I'm trying to insall some fonts onto a new MBP throught Font Book - with no success.

I've tried both methods Font Book Help suggests, but neither work. Font Book doesn't seem to recognise that the fonts are there.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

A

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I have one suggestion...
    Don't use fontbook.

Font Explorer X by LinoType is a much better option...and it's free! :)

If you have other questions about Font Explorer X, post them here and I will be happy to help.

As for fontbook, since you've been messing around in there, I would go in and DISABLE all fonts that you might have activated.

Then install Font Explorer X, and add your fonts.

As a general good practice, I keep all of my fonts that I am adding to my system in Macintosh HD/Fonts so that I always know where they are.

You have 2 user folders of fonts that apple installs, and one system folder of fonts. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER touch the System fonts folder. You will screw yourself royally. You shouldn't need to mess with your user fonts folders either.

3. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Second that.

4. akidd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I suspected that would be a solution as no-one seems to have any suggestions how to get FB to work properly.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Fontbook has very limited functionality, and frankly I think it's one spot where Apple has failed as far as the UI goes, and due to that UI failure, it's not exactly easy to figure it all out for practical functionality.

More than likely the people who care about font management and adding fonts are going to be more professionally based folks like myself (designers, etc...), so in that case, we tend to like things that have a little bit better features and run very stable.

Therefore Font Explorer X is a great solution to the problem.

There are other font managers out there, like Extensis Suitcase, but I don't know why you'd use that and pay for it, when Linotype has made such an amazingly wonderful free option that is very light on the system and doesn't require much in the way of special setup like Suitcase does.

I used suitcase for 4 years, following Extenis' own best practices PDFs and setup instructions and always seemed to have SOME sort of little quirky problem. Font Explorer X solved all that, and I would GLADLY pay for it if it were necessary, but I will never touch Extensis again.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I am currently using Font Book but i didn't know that...So,is there a way to move the fonts that i added to that program you suggested?And after that delete the fonts that i had added from the font book?

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

your fonts should be stored wherever you had added them from.

If you simply downloaded them, and dragged them into font book, there's a good chance it copied them over and put them into .../username/library/fonts
    or Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts.

So you can try to locate them there. You'll want to MOVE them out of that folder, and as I said, a good practice is to just make a "Fonts" folder in Macintosh HD and just keep what you download or purchase in there.

When you install Font Explorer X, it will ask you what folder you want to use for your fonts, and if you want it to copy stuff over to that folder. I tell it about my "Fonts" folder, and tell it not to copy them over because they'll already be there in theory.

Font Explorer X will also make use of your system fonts automatically so no need to worry about that either.

Whatever you do, as I said before DO NOT TOUCH what's in Macintosh HD/System/Library/Fonts, that will screw you real bad.

8. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

How do i detect which font was there and which one i added??That's my problem now.....:confused:

9. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious