Font Book says I have duplicates...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bill P., Nov 16, 2008.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

In an interesting article about Averting Mac Disasters, http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/how_survive_17_worst_mac_disasters, I learned that Leopard actually installs a font utility called Font Book.

Upon launching Font Book and selecting (for example) the Web collection on the left, and then opening the Arial font (click on the triangle) I find that there are duplicate fonts. Also, there is a black dot to the right of one of each duplicate font but not the other. It seems that this is true with each font. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Bill

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just resolve the duplicates. Select all duplicates (those with black dots in front of them), click edit and resolve duplicates. This should disable all dupicates leaving only one active.

3. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

Bill P.

Thanks for the quick response, Daneoni.

Is there a way to do this automatically rather than selecting each duplicate (there are many)? Also, is disabling the duplicates what I want to do as opposed to deleting them?

Any idea how this occurred? I did a clean install of 10.5.5.

Regards,

Bill

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It can probably be automated with automator or applescript but i have no clue how to do that. Disabling is always better than outright deleting. Duplicates result from application installing their own fonts even if said fonts are already available. Office will install its fonts as will Adobe etc...leading to duplicate fonts.