Font Book Serious Error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Sep 8, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Tried to install a font from dafont.com, but as it was installing it said something along the lines of it having a serious error and cautious should be used if I want to install it. I cancelled it so it wasn't installed, and deleted the .ttf file.

Just wondering what that means? Could it harm my system? I validated all my fonts, and some came back with errors, but it said that was just because there were duplicates and they should be okay.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you canceled the install, you're fine.

3. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay cool. Though, what 'if' it had been installed? What could/would happen? How would I rectify any problems?

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Something serious would have happened. Seriously bad.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had installed a damaged or corrupted font, it wouldn't have harmed your system. The font may not have been usable, but your system would run just fine. You can always run Font Book to validate fonts, to make sure they're ok, and to disable or delete fonts that aren't.
    Nonsense.

6. berthenderson macrumors member

So is Font Book an app, as opposed to fonts stored on Windows? So 'corrupt' fonts can't mess up OSX? Wasn't sure, as I figured the fonts were embedded deep within the system.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, Font Book is an app in your /Applications folder. It's used to manage fonts on your computer. A corrupt font cannot "mess up" OS X. No, fonts aren't embedded within the system. They're typically stored in the /Library/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts folder. You can add or delete fonts as needed. A few fonts are used by the system and shouldn't be deleted, but adding new fonts has no effect on Mac OS X operation.