Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amadues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
over the hills and far away
Hello all!

First off, let me tell you that I tried searching but couldn't find a similar thread. So, forgive me if this issue has been addressed previously.
Secondly, I hope this is the right section.

I have noticed this problem in only one particular font till now. I don't know if it might resurface with other fonts too.
I download the font Sketch Block from here: http://www.dafont.com/sketch-block.font?nb_ppp=50
But when I opened it in Font Book it didn't show the preview properly.
picture2.png

I tried using it in Pages '09 but the end product was similar to the Font Book preview - nothing like the original font.
picture1.png

I thought that this might be a problem with the font. I re downloaded it but faced the same problem. Next, I tried it in Photoshop CS4 and violá! It worked perfectly.
picture3.png

Please note that in all three cases, the font size is the same - 48.
Another thing I noticed was that in Pages, if I increased the font size greatly, the font rendered correctly.

What could be causing this problem?
BTW, I'm running Leopard 10.5.8

Thank you for your help.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
EDIT:

I suppose it doesn't matter if you are or not. Pages is a word processor so it is likely just the way that it renders the fonts for that purpose. If you are intending to do intense layout I would recommend using InDesign, etc.

For reference, Keynote renders the font properly at 48pt. Again, these apps have different purposes and will display the font differently. It isn't a problem with the font or your computer.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

What could be causing this problem?
BTW, I'm running Leopard 10.5.8

Thank you for your help.
What problem? The only different among your three clips is the level of detail in the fine-structure of one particular font. You are comparing the display of a font in a font utility (black on white) to a document editor (white on patterned background) to a high-end graphics application (white on patterned background). That's like comparing apples to watermelons to pecans.

amadues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
over the hills and far away
When I just have to do some light work, its much easier to use Pages rather than InDesign or Photoshop.

So, basically, Pages won't render the font correctly as its made only for casual stuff? Logically, Pages should render it properly.

But I suppose there's not much one can do about it other than using some other software.
I am disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.