font error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bafodelic, May 15, 2013.

1. bafodelic macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

i have macbook pro - Os x version 10.5.8

you can see that some of it is in english but a few lines aren't.

this happens on my desktop applications and internet browsers

thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I suggest you create a new user name on your MBP. An ordinary (non admin) user will do just fine. Then log in as the new user and look at the offending page(s) in Safari. If the fonts are no longer messed up, you have narrowed it down to something that is only associated with your account and is not system-wide.

The last time I experienced messed up fonts on a Mac was when I installed MS Office on my wife's Mac. The install somehow walked over fonts OpenOffice needed and when she launched OOO, she got teeny tiny little bitty unreadable fonts. I reinstalled OOO and that solved the problem for her.

If the fonts are still messed up you have a choice of continuing to search for an answer or... You could do an "archive and install" of your OS. It's a brute force method but it does solve a lot of issues and it doesn't take very long. Of course this means you need a 10.6 install disk and of course you'll have to sit through downloading the latest combo update.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It's almost certainly a font cache issue. Googling for "empty font cache" will show you what to do.
    There's no need to reinstall OS X or create new user accounts.