Font Issues in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tonhe, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tonhe macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP this week, and have spent the last few days setting it up and finding things, etc..

One of the biggest issues I'm having is font related while web browsing. The fonts in the windows version of firefox look so much better than do they in OSX.. Even Safari and Camino seem to have the same issues..

I've included a screen shot to demonstrate... its just a readability issue for me,maybe a bit of nit picking.. but its justified i think !

You can really see it in the titles of the posts here on macrumors, slashdot, and a few other sites....

-Tony

PS this screen shot is after I tried to fix the issue in firefox by changing fonts ot the ones included with Office for Mac, and told it to use my fonts all the time. I'll attach another screen shot with the browser allowing sites to change fonts.

Here is a screenshot with firefox setup with the new fonts, but now allowing sites to change fonts (this is the default setting for firefox)

Preferences->Content->Fonts & Colors->Advanced->Allow pages to use their own fonts, instead of my selections above

The fonts I have setup are as follows...

Proportional - Serif
    Serif - Times New Roman
    Sans-Serif: Arial
    Monospace: Courier New

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is because of Apple and Microsoft differing on how they smooth fonts in their respective operating systems. Microsoft's implementation tries to make text "look good" on the screen, even if doing so means sacrificing the shape of the glyphs that make up the font. Apple's implementation does the exact opposite - it prefers to preserve the shape of the glyphs at all costs. Additionally, Apple uses both anti-aliasing AND sub-pixel rendering to smooth fonts. Microsoft uses sub-pixel rendering only.

Some people prefer Microsoft's system, others Apple's. I happen to be one of those people who finds both systems likable.

3. tonhe thread starter macrumors newbie

I can understand that.. I was just reading a bit about the issue on some guys blog..

So, is there a way to at least make the fonts look less bold, or chunky? I don't exactly have the best vision, and since I spend 12+ hrs a day on a computer, it gets kinda annoying.

4. calande macrumors newbie

Hello,

I see it as a major problem for me, especially when the text is small. I haven't bought a Mac yet, and beforehand, I'd like to know if there are settings to choose the way you want to render fonts (like there are in other OSes). Maybe there is a patch that fixes the font rendering issue? Other than that, I'm quite interested in purchasing an iMac in the end of the year, those look really nice and polished :)
    Thanks!

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Yes there are settings to adjust the fonts. About "fixing" the font rendering issue, no...there is no issue! :D

It might just seem that way when you are used to imho, ugly windows rendering. Give it a couple week and you will start to like OSX rendering better. I find i have less eye strain with OSX nowadays, way easier to read web pages and documents. OSX renders fonts like it shows on thee printed paper. Fonts look very nice on this 24" iMac :)

6. calande macrumors newbie

Ok, I still like very much the way fonts are cleanly rendered on Windows with ClearType enabled (default on Vista). Professional designers may find fonts altered, but a normal user like me doesn't perceive it, however, I find shapes cleaner and sharper (less fuzzy).

Ok, I think if this is true, the only reason to this is high resolution (high DPI). I have 96 dpi, and on my current computer with Vista, although the fonts being sharp and clean, it's poor quality, compared to a laser print on quality paper.

Yeah, I think the screen definition is of utmost importance. Could you tell me what DPI you have on your Mac? If I can solve this problem by increasing the DPI on my screen, and if the iMac can have high definition, this could be a tradeoff.

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

i dont know how to check the dpi. I'm running 1920x1200 resolution.
    I saw your attached image and it seems just fine. Imho your windows fonts look too fragile and thin compared to more pronounced os x fonts. Like i said, its all how your eye get used to it. I would recommend you to not look windows for couple weeks :) I'v been using Windows, Linux(worst rendering) and now 6 months OS X and i find fonts best on Mac.

Heres font sample from my browser(Safari), imho its just as normal as yours:
    [​IMG]

8. calande macrumors newbie

I agree with you that the fonts on the first screenshot look weak and too thin in Firefox/Win (the screenshot wasn't mine). I have uploaded a comparative screenshot: http://i36.tinypic.com/118koi1.png - the right part of the screenshot is Vista (left is OS X). I'd like to be able to tweak OS X to have a similar font rendering in OS X if possible. Thanks.

9. tonhe thread starter macrumors newbie

To me, the fonts in OSX are just so heavy that they look fuzzy and squashed together.. I find the fonts in windows so much easier to read, browsing pages on the mac honestly gives me a headache at times..

10. calande macrumors newbie

tonhe: I found a HOW-TO that may help you. Please post a screenshot if you're satisfied with the result. Ideally, for me, though, would be a ClearType font rendering :(

11. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Really, give a couple weeks, your brain will get used to the fonts. :)