Font Issues in Safari after installing some downloaded fonts!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maXairmike, Feb 23, 2009.

1. maXairmike macrumors newbie

The other night I pulled some fonts that I downloaded a few years ago off of my external hard drive and installed them one by one into Font Book to the User profile. Right after I finished this, I noticed that now about 80% of the text on pages in Safari now appeared as the Yahoo font, instead of what they used to be (I visit about 10 different sites on a regular basis, so there's probably a variety of fonts that normally appear, but now most things appear as the Yahoo font). I don't have any style sheet selected in the Safari preferences, and the font preferences are untouched from what they are when Safari is installed. Not only are a lot of sites now hard to read because of the mess that the Yahoo font around size 10 is, but its just flat out annoying to read that crazy font.

Any ideas as to what could have gotten messed up and what I need to do to fix it?

EDIT: Just went in and removed the Yahoo font, and things are still rendering as the Yahoo font! Going to restart and see if that clears some things up.

2. maXairmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bumping this because this font is starting to get really annoying to read a lot of! Yahoo's font is nice for about one or two words, then it's just horrible. By the way, I completely got rid of the font and restarted, but the issue is still there! I also noticed a "new" problem, in that in addition to using the Yahoo font, it is also using the Metallica font in places! :eek: I wouldn't have noticed it, except when Alan Menken came up as the artist for a song on one of my playlist.com playlists, I noticed the A and the M were in the Metallica font (in case you're wondering, yes I was listening to songs from classic Disney soundtracks, that's why that name appeared).

Seriously though, I would really like to not have to read the stupid Yahoo font anymore!

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Fonts on a mac can be your worst nightmare unfortunately.

You say you installed them via fontbook, you'll want to make sure that it didn't accidentally, somehow, put them into Macintosh HD > System > Library > Fonts or into Macintosh HD > Library > Fonts first off.

Secondly, removing them or disabling from fontbook alone does not usually remove the font from the system. For that, you need to make sure it's not in Macintosh HD > Users > YOURUSER > Library > Fonts.

If it's in there, delete it, empty trash, restart safari, choose Safari > RESET SAFARI, then restart your computer. You can also make sure that somehow safari didn't set them in the safari preferences to be the default fonts that it uses.

In the future, you may want to look into a font management program that is actually worth a damn, unlike Font Book, such as the free and very excellent FontExplorer X v.1.2.3 unless you're using CS4, in which case you will need the new Pro version.

good luck.

4. maXairmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I do use a CS4 app every now and then (mostly CS3 though for Photoshop and Dreamweaver), but just Premiere, and even then, very rarely. Where should I be keeping the fonts if not in the directory you mentioned? I need to be able to access them at all times in Pages, Keynote, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, PS, and possibly Dreamweaver. In other words, an option that doesn't require me to install and then get rid of them every time I need to use them.

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Macintosh HD > Users > YOURUSER > Library > Fonts

Is where you should keep any fonts that you need to access in all programs, keep in mind though that it would be to your advantage, especially w/ CS(anything) to have a decent font management program that is capable of activating and deactivating fonts on demand, and also of making sure other fonts don't interfere with your system fonts.

If you send me a private message, we can talk about this more in depth, I'm happy to do it, but it's so much to type here to really get into font management.