Font printing errors

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by stridemat, Sep 25, 2015.

  1. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    When printing documents with a certain font (Kalinga) the attached happens. This happens system wide and on both the printers in the office. If I open the same document from my iPhone or iPad and print via AirPrint then these artefacts disappear. Likewise if I print to Adobe Acrobat Reader and then print to the actual printer from within Adobe then these artefacts also disappear.

    IMG_3588.jpg

    Strange one I know, but it is quite frustrating. Anyone any ideas? Im using a 2013 MBA with all the latest updates installed.
     
  2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
  3. stridemat thread starter Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Any OS X Programme or Microsoft Office. The only programme that seems to work is Adobe Acrobat Reader as this has its own printer renderer.

    If I upload the font in question, would you be able to install it on your system and try to print something in Kalinga? The problem letters appear to be W and X.
     
  4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #4
    Sure, I can do that. I suspect that the font is malformed in some way, and the printer's rendering engine doesn't like it. You don't happen to be printing to postscript printers, do you?
     
  5. stridemat, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

    stridemat thread starter Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    Thanks. Font can be downloaded from removed (I will delete in a day or so). If you can install and then try to print something in the Kalinga font with numerous W's and x's.
     
  6. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #6
    Well, I printed it to an HP LJ2100M, a postscript printer about fifteen years old, and it was fine when I printed as PostScript, but had the same problems you saw when I printed as PCL.

    I did a little looking, and found another post that indicated problems rendering Kalinga in prepress. This is suggesting to me that there are problems in the font geometry which break some rendering engines but not others. I checked with frontline, and it complains of the following:

    Code:
    ERROR      2 Self-intersecting glyph
    ERROR      5 Missing points at extrema
    ERROR      9 Bad glyph name
    
    If you can, it might be a good idea to use a different font, but if you need Kalinga's Oriya support that might be difficult. Maybe use some complementary sans font for roman text and Kalinga for Oriya?

    You might check if there is a newer version of the font available from Microsoft. The version you have seemed to come with Windows 8.1, so Windows 10 might have a newer version (but I don't have Windows 10 handy).

    Monotype licenses the fonts for Microsoft, so you might check with them to see if there is a newer version available somehow, or a way to get in touch with Microsoft Typography.
     
  7. stridemat thread starter Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    Thanks. I have contacted Monotype to establish what version they have available on their store.
     
  8. vexorg macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
  9. stridemat thread starter Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    It looks fine on the screen, but when printing the same issue occurs.
     
  10. vexorg macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    #10
    Strange, never had a PDF have a problem between screen and printing the PDF
     

Share This Page