Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZone

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Hi, Is there any way I can convert Windows font to Mac Font? I from overseas. I didn't find anywhere our country language font. we don't use mac that much in our country. I downloaded a software to convert fonts. It converts windows fonts to fontname.mtt format. But it didn't worked in my ibook. Can you please help me. Thanks in advance.

I am using ibook 1.2ghz & Man Os X Panther :)

ThomasHobbes

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
Mac OS X can use any Windows fonts.

SImple as that.

The conversion tool was probably for Mac OS 9 which couldn't use Windows fonts.

To be specific Mac OS X can use Adobe's Postscript, Microsoft's/Adobe's OpenType, and Apple's TrueType fonts.

A quick rundown:

Postscript fonts are are fonts for printers that support them. Adobe owns this format and you can only use them in Mac OS X because Apple licensed it from them.

TrueType fonts are Apple's preferred font and most of the fonts that ship with OS X are in this format. OS X automatically notices and handles the differences between the Windows and Mac versions of this format along with a few more arcane details (namely .dfont) that don't really matter to the end user. The font prints and displays smoothly with no jagged edges despite the size.

OpenType was a joint development form Microsoft and Adobe. Its chief benefit is that the fonts are exactly the same on the Mac and Windows. OpenType was developed in order to relieve Microsoft of its dependance on TrueType. In a sense it is a competitor with TrueType.

Bitmap fonts are the oldest type and not really supported under OS X. You can use them, but it may not work all that well.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ThomasHobbes said:
Mac OS X can use any Windows fonts.

SImple as that.
Simple, but wrong. There is a Microsoft vector font format that the Mac cannot use. What you should have said is that the Mac can use any Windows TrueType, PostScript Type 1, or OpenType font.
ThomasHobbes said:
Postscript fonts are are fonts for printers that support them. Adobe owns this format and you can only use them in Mac OS X because Apple licensed it from them.
It is not at all clear what you mean. It is certainly not true that PostScript fonts are exclusively printer fonts or that they are exclusive to MacOS X. PS Type 1 fonts work very well as display fonts with MacOS X, MacOS 9 with Adobe Type Manager, MacOS 8/ATM, System 7/ATM, and System 6/ATM. Although it is true that Adobe owns the PS Type 1 format, I am not so sure about the terms of Apple's license with Adobe. Apple is an Adobe fonts customer, not a developer to PS Type 1 fonts. I would think that Apple's Adobe license would be limited to its PostScript print driver and possibly its font renderer in MacOS X.
ThomasHobbes said:
TrueType fonts are Apple's preferred font and most of the fonts that ship with OS X are in this format. OS X automatically notices and handles the differences between the Windows and Mac versions of this format along with a few more arcane details (namely .dfont) that don't really matter to the end user. The font prints and displays smoothly with no jagged edges despite the size.
IIRC, PostScript is the preferred font format for MacOS X. NeXTstep and OpenSTEP, the precursers to MacOS X, used PostScript exclusively. MacOS X is more ecumenical, but PostScript is still the format of choice. However, all--not most--of the fonts bundled with MacOS X are TrueType. As an Apple-developed format, TrueType frees the company from Adobe license fees.
ThomasHobbes said:
OpenType was a joint development form Microsoft and Adobe. Its chief benefit is that the fonts are exactly the same on the Mac and Windows. OpenType was developed in order to relieve Microsoft of its dependance on TrueType. In a sense it is a competitor with TrueType.
You are confused. OpenType is a TrueType and PostScript Type 1 in a single package. I am at a loss where you got the notion that its chief benefit is that the fonts are exactly the same on the Mac and Windows. First off, as a joint venture between Microsoft and Adobe, the Mac was not a consideration. Second off, TrueType and Type 1 are also exactly the same on the Mac and Windows. The two OSs access a slightly different set of characters on the same character matrix. I don't see OpenType as a competitor for TrueType at all. As a said before, TrueType is part of OpenType. I see OpenType as a manifestation of Adobe's official surrender in the Font Wars.
ThomasHobbes said:
Bitmap fonts are the oldest type and not really supported under OS X. You can use them, but it may not work all that well.
I have no idea where you got the idea that bitmap fonts are not supported under MacOS X. They are most certainly supported by my copy of MacOS X 10.3.7. If they were not supported, they would not work at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.