Font problem " ProN W3.otf"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RonArt, Jan 3, 2011.

1. RonArt macrumors member

RonArt

I've been using Macs for around 15 years, and professionally for around a decade, and know the rules on when it is alright to delete fonts so...

I deleted the font ヒラギノ角ゴ ProN W3.otf, but now after a reboot (usually a hard reboot), this font appears in my Trash in a "Recovered" folder. (I won't bother you with the problem requiring a hard reboot.)

I learned long ago that this usually indicates that an app was not closed/deactivated properly (i.e. when a file appears in the "Recovered" folder).

However, since this is not even supposedly an essential font, I can't imagine that there is an app, not even a background app, that would be using it. So even a hard reboot should not 'crash' an app that is not using it (if you see what I mean).

Any ideas?

There are a couple other oddities occurring in my system, that should not be related, but I'd like to correct this so I know that some how it is not part of the other glitches.

I've ran Disk Utility; Disk Warrior; Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner (deepest level); Onyx (rebuild Launch Services); Repair Permissions

And I did a search on my system and on the web regarding what apps might use this font (can't find anything essential or that should be running by default in the OS).

Specs: 27" iMac running OSX 10.6.5 with all software up to date

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Ron

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Repeats

I forgot to mention that this occurs over-and-over. It's happened at least ten times. And repeated glitches should not be ignored.

And as I mentioned, I want to correct this so I can check it off the list of glitches that may be causing other glitches I'm having.

Thanks for your post.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If deleting the font caused the problem, I'd just put it back. It's not worth the pittance of hard drive space you save.

5. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Agreed

Agreed.

That's the first thing I tried, putting the font back, but it still continued to happen though it had never happened prior to my removing it.

I've never seen anything like this before and in my profession I work with fonts every day.

It is as if there is an app that is using it, but no longer recognizes it since it was removed.

And again... it is probably nothing, but since I am also having other glitches... I want to eliminate this as a possible culprit.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

You might try using Oynx to delete the Font Cache, which will require a reboot and maybe a rest of your Font Book. The contents of the cache may have been corrupted or be out of alignment with the actuaal fonts installed. Not sure this will work but it sounds like thee problem you having is cache related. That font, by the way, is a Japanese font and if you are not using the Japanese language you should be able to delete it.