Font problems in 10.6 with Rosetta apps: what is the cause?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blanka, Oct 11, 2012.

1. blanka macrumors 68000

I'm a big fan of Freehand 10 and now and then I use my old CS1 suite too on a 10.6 Snow Leopard machine. They all run great, but there is one very annoying issue: most user-installed fonts are not available in these programs.
    On my old 10.4.11 machine, where they run under Rosetta as well, all fonts work great.
    I tried ditching font caches with several utilities, but they still won't show up.
    Does anybody have an idea what causes this "fonts not found" problem?

2. blanka thread starter macrumors 68000

Solution to invisible font problem Snow Leopard 10.6

I found a solution to my Font problems. They had nothing to do with Rosetta apps per se, but with the font-locking introduced in 10.6

The solution is to run this command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo atsutil fontprotection -off
    Give the admin password when asked.
    I activated the fonts that were invisible afterwards with Suitcase Fusion 4, but it might work with the normal font manager as well.
    All fonts work great afterwards, in Adobe CS InDesign, Photoshop and even including Text-to-outline in Macromedia Freehand 10, whichs was buggy with some fonts before.
    It is really great to see Freehand 10 still runs like clockwork on a 2011 Mac. I still miss its triangle-connection points in paths when I have to work in Illu.