Font rendering issues!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by elephant, May 19, 2010.

1. elephant macrumors newbie

elephant

I have a weird problem with getting Arial to render properly on some sites I've made, and I don't know if this is an OS X-related issue or not?

I have a MacBook Pro 13" that I use as a laptop, and then a MacBook Pro 15" i7 that is hooked up to a 24" external display.

On the 24", the sites look normal, meaning Arial in 'font-weight: normal' looks as it should. But on the 13", all fonts have a 'bold' applied to them.

This doesn't happen everywhere though, Google renders in normal Arial without the 'bold' applied. So far I've only experienced it on my own sites, but I haven't done an extensive search.

I'm guessing it has something to do with how OS X renders fonts when the resolutions get smaller (to increase readability), but how do Google and other sites bypass this behaviour?

Comparison (24" first, then 13"):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone had this problem before? Tried googling the issue, but didn't really know what to look for.

2. unid macrumors regular

3. elephant thread starter macrumors newbie

elephant

It shows up as Helvetica on my 24", but as Comic Sans on my 13". Reason is i uninstalled Comic Sans from the i7.

Oh and also: when I unplug the i7 from the external monitor and use it a s a laptop, it displays fonts like the 13", with a bold applied to it.

4. elephant thread starter macrumors newbie

elephant

After some more testing:

So the problem here seems to be that OS X is trying to increase readability when things are displayed on a smaller resolution laptop screen, by adding bold on top of all text, even if the text is already bold.

Some sites bypass it just fine though, like Google or MySpace.

I tried reducing my external monitor to "laptop resolutions" (1280x800), but my external monitor still rendered the fonts correctly.

Something happens when I unplug my external monitor, that makes both my MBP's add bold on top of text on certain websites.

My head is spinning.