font rendering

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by dljor, Nov 10, 2015.

1. dljor macrumors regular

Hello

I am trying to determine if I have some trouble in my connection.

Attached is a picture of my dell 3014 that I took while connected to rMBP. Does it look right? I just can't get used to the way text is displayed. When connected to a PC, the monitor looks so much sharper and text is much easier on my eyes.

Is this caused by the way os x renders fonts?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Biffs macrumors newbie

It looks fine to me - but I must admit that when I am forced to suffer a PC I get the impression that the text presentation is cheap and bitty, which to your eyes may appear sharper. What you're used to, I guess.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OS X does render fonts quite a bit differently than Windows. Many people think the Windows method makes the fonts look "sharper."

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

Here is a good article about it.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Is this still true with Retina displays? I always assumed that the sub-pixel rendering is not necessary or as harsh on higher-resolution displays.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure, but I think OS X still does it on a Retina display. It appears to on my 13" Retina MBP... if I zoom in a bit it seems to still be there.

6. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I've been battling this for a while. My laptop is a 13" rMBP and I love using it to read pdfs. My workstation is a PC. The dell looks Ok with this PC. But if I connect my rMBP to the Dell, I get the picture in the OP. So annoying ...

I am getting an iMac and am wondering what to do with the Dell. Should I just get rid of it and get another 4k monitor as the secondary screen, or should I keep it as the secondary screen?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How are you connected to the Dell monitor and what year and model rMBP do you have. I recall there were some resolution restrictions over HDMI on all but the newest rMBPs, so that may be at issue here.

Can you tell if it is running at 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz while connected to the rMBP?

8. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I am using mini-display. The monitor is running at native resolution at 60 Hz. Maybe I am just too used to retina display?

Now, if I look hard, I do see pixels even with the PC connect to the Dell monitor. It was never an issue in the past years.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that could be. It is big difference.

10. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Can't wait for the iMac. My eyes will thank me, I think.