Font Size in SMS bubbles

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Siriosys, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi all,

Got an iPhone the other day and am so far very impressed with it.

One of the 'attractive' features about the iPhone for me was the big screen. I'm partially sighted and have always struggled with mobile phones. I have a Blackberry for work and the font size is set at 14point which means I only get a few words of email onscreen at any one time, however it works.

The iPhone was no exception here and has so far proved to be great WITH ONE EXCEPTION - SMS! I know this will prove not a problem for most of you, but for those of us with a sight problem, I'm finding it impossible to read SMS messages.

Does anybody know how one can increase the font size of SMS messages on the iPhone? Web pages, Email, etc etc can have their font increased, but SMS messages don't seem to have faired so well.

Interestingly, if you google "iPhone" + "Font size" + "SMS" you get taken to the Apple iPhone's Accessibility features page which starts out ranting about how many accessibility features the iPhone has INCLUDING SMS!

The irony is that in fact, SMS is NOT easy to read and certainly doesn't have voice-playback of messages so I don't know why they're trying to use it as an 'accessibility' feature. Obviously, voice playback is not included and that doesn't bother me.

Although, I could be bastard and take the matter up with apple claiming they are discriminating and using false advertising, this is NOT my style and at the end of the day I guess I'll just have to put up with it, however if anybody knows of a way to increase the font size in the SMS boxes, can you let me know.

Cheers and Thanks,

R

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I think I read that there's a way to do it if you jailbreak the phone. I don't believe there's any other way right now, but I hope you find a solution that works for you.

3. Siriosys thread starter macrumors regular

Siriosys

Actually, is there a particular email address I can write to at Apple?

I'll possibly put this into the Apple forums as well and try and see if anybody knows anything about whether it can be done, or even if (God forbid), apple may do something about it.

Cheers

R

4. felero macrumors newbie

iPhone's Font Size on SMS

Hi. I share the same problem with you. I can't read or am having difficulty reading the text in SMS unless I wear my reading glasses, but I can't wear it all the time especially if you are on the road. I also wrote in MODMYi.com about this issue hoping that there are 3rd party programmers who would write a solution for that. I'm even willing to pay if there is.

5. Siriosys thread starter macrumors regular

Siriosys

If the font size can't be adjusted it would at least be nice to be able to adjust the background or foreground colour in the bubbles.

For anybody who understands how the human eye works, colour is often more important than size. So high-contrast colours make things a lot easier to read. The green background with black text on top is not a choice - especially in brighly lit areas.

6. AnionicStrength macrumors member

I know this thread is old, but it was the first result when I searched for "larger sms font iphone" on Google.

With the most recent version of iOS, you can increase the font size for the built in apps Messages (SMS/MMS), Mail, Contacts and Notes by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text. There are options from 20pt to 56pt.