Font size

Discussion in 'iMac' started by beerglass007, Oct 30, 2010.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to increase the font size/icons within OSX

I think I found the issue with my headaches and the 27". Basically the text is very small when browsing.

I have been using the CMD +/- to increase the page size and my headaches have been better.

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

To change fonts (within applications) on the iMac, one needs to use a 3rd party software. re: Tickertool @ http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html This FREE app changes some fonts but NOT all. And, it doesn't change Menu sizes (like fixed text within a windows label). Within Windows 7 system, simply go into Video Screen Resoluton and select usge large fonts. re: 125% DPI ratio. All fonts and "menus" become larger. Clean / simple and easy to use. To me, the iMac OS needs this same "one global click" feature.

Perhaps one day, Apple will include a futue patch or include this "more DPI ratio" (that eliminate distortions) on their future OS versions. Only time will tell..

3. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I agree that it's about time for the operating system to include a Large Fonts option that operates the way that the Windows option operates.

You can control font size in OSX by zooming on some (but not all) application focus windows, but even then you have to sometimes do some radical refocusing to be able to read the menu system after reading the zoomed window for a while.

4. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

I screwed around with various options, both in OSX and Windows XP, and finally gave up and changed the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080.

5. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I know you can get by with that, but it's not the ultimate solution.

When you set a resolution that is other than the native resolution, you're not getting the best out of your monitor that you can get.

The only real solution is for a Windows-like Large Fonts option to be rolled out with a future OSX incremental release.

People who develop applications do not write for properly scaling to large fonts. It is going to make for broken and weird looking windows until everybody is onboard. In days of auld lang syne, when half the world was using some kind of AOL client software, this was one of the many problems people complained about. As higher resolution monitors began to hit the market, AOL had to start warning people via popup messages not to enable large fonts.

And, of course, everybody wanted large fonts with their increased screen resolutions, the applications designers couldn't do it properly, and it all contributed to the eventually great dissatisfaction with AOL client software. It wasn't the end of the world for them, but it was a contributing factor.

We just need a large fonts option, guys. :)

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

This is one of the things I would like to see in a new OSX version (Lion perhaps?). I find myself constantly using cmd-+ or the equivalent in other applications.