Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I bought a new MacBook Air and I can't see the font as it is all too small. Will someone please tell me how to make it larger? Thanks :

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.3

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That can a result of the Macbook Air, which still has the older technology screen, which is noticeably less sharp.

If you have an 11-inch (the smallest screen size), then that may be a good reason to return it to Apple. Exchange for the 13-inch screen size.

Or, replace with a MacBook. The retina screen will be MUCH sharper, helping the small text to be more readable for most eyes....

Reactions: redheeler

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I had a 2011 13" MBA and switched to the 11" model in 2013. Still love it, I'm 67 and wear glasses, but have absolutely no problems with the screen. I don't see where retina would make any difference. The dot pitch is already very fine on the 11" MBA, I can't see individual pixels at a normal reading distance.

I did adjust font sizes in some individual programs when I switched from the 13" to the 11" MBA. Apple Mail was the biggest problem for me, but there are menu settings for the default fonts in the Apple Mail prefs.

But if you really "can't see the font" regardless of what software you're running, then perhaps the 11" MBA just isn't for you. I suspect this says more about your vision than the quality of the Mac screen. You could visit a store that sells the retina MacBook and see if you find that screen any more readable.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I bought a new MacBook Air and I can't see the font as it is all too small. Will someone please tell me how to make it larger? Thanks :

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.3

Take it into an Apple Store and have a Genius set it up to your liking?

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Thank you everyone for all the good advice. I will try all suggestions, then take it into Mac Store for the experts if I have to.

Thanks. :)

Reactions: Digger148

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I had the 11", i returned it and switched to the 13". Much better.

Mac's do seem to have small text. I'm on my HP 11" Windows laptop and don't have the issues i had with the 11" Mac.

Miss Trust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I had the 13 before, I bought this one as I have to carry it around.
I have all the fonts large enough now, (except) for the icons and print on the finder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.