Font smoothing with Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by zeiter, Jun 3, 2014.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

How is font smoothing on Yomemite compared to Mavericks especially on external displays and non-retina screens? What is the system font?

Thank you very much.

2. DMojo macrumors newbie

Would like to know this too. Anyone with an iMac tried Yosemite? Is the font smoothing quality any different to Mavericks?

3. yeldarbnamdlog macrumors member

I'm running Yosemite on an Early-2011 15-inch MacBook Pro, and the fonts look a tad bit sharper than Mavericks, but I suspect this will be refined in a later build.

4. davenport4 macrumors newbie

font quality in menus.

The quality of the fonts in menus it highly dependent on the color of your background. Light background looks great. Dark background looks terrible. Steve was a major font quality person and I know he would not be happy with Yosemite's fonts. Hopefully it improves before release.

5. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I refuse to upgrade if the fonts do not look smooth on non-retina displays. Deal killer for me

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Helvetia Neue really looks no worse than Lucida Grande on non-retina displays. It isn't Ultra Light and the tracking makes it easy to read.

At the moment, the WiFi icon is a larger problem on non-retina screens. I find it really difficult to tell if it's showing connected or not.