Font thickness - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by virginblue4, Jul 29, 2013.

1. virginblue4, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I know a lot of people don't like the thicker font that Apple are now using in beta 3 / 4.

Both my iPhone 5 and my iPad mini still have the same very thin font as was used in beta 1.

And if I want to make it bold I go into accessibility and do so and vice versa.

Why are people complaining they don't like the bold text? Can you not just turn it off?

Unless I'm missing something :confused:

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yes you are missing something as it is not the same as beta 1. They made the default font thicker going from light to regular. You can not get the thinner version in 2-4 but you can go even thicker. Which is fine by me as I felt it was way too thin and hard to read, although I wouldn't have complained about an option to go back to light for those who did like it.

3. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

i don't like the thicker font. i liked the thin font most it felt fresh and new. and to me made the txt feel more up to date.

4. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Yeah, the typography of the "ultra light" font created an entirely different feel to the OS. I'm assuming they wanted that look/feel but because of too many complaints about it being hard to read, decided to change it up a bit. Unfortunately they should just choose an entirely different font IMO, because it doesn't work well with a heavier weight. Oh well!

5. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I think they moved away from the ultra thin font because it looked crappy and uneven on the iPad Mini's non-retina display. It looked great on the iPhone 4/4S/5 and retina iPads.

6. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yeah I wish they would enable the option to choose the thickness of the font, or at least make it dynamic across different devices. Because on the iPhone's smaller screen, the heavier font might look too "fat" for the OS, while on the iPads with their bigger screens, the ultralight looks too thin and inadequate.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Here's a .gif to help you delineate the difference between the original beta 1 font and the thicker, beta 3/4 font. (Note: I did not make this.)

[​IMG]

8. HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

The thinner one looks a bit, I dunno, sexier? :p .

9. rhyx nathotho macrumors newbie

The ultra thin looks so much more sophisticated and clean, very minimalist. I miss it.

10. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I miss the ultra light as well... ~_~ why must people ruin great things...I wish there was an option for the people with Retina Displays to get that text back. the text was crisp and made me want to iMessage even more... But now it has lost its appeal...I am kinda like ugh...I want a toggle or something haha

11. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo