Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baracus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
UK
I've hit my first hard wall with the iPad!

I'm using "Print n Share" and trying to print a document created in Pages app but having real issues with fonts. I hope someone here has a solution?

Using the WePrint server tool installed on my desktop, it finds the printers just fine, but even if I use "standard PC fonts" in Pages such as Arial, Trebuchet MS or Verdana, when I make the PDF (or DOC) file and open it, it says something like "cannot extract the embedded font 'FNIBCO+Trebuchet".

It does the same if I just email the PDF to myself and open in Acrobat Reader.

It also loses the BOLD formatting of the same font, and from a DOC file it messes up the margins and numbered bullets as well (which at least stays intact in PDF's).

I've tried several methods involving both Print n Share, and simply emailing to my desktop, but all end up basically with the same problem at the end.

I've emailed EuroSmartz support but they have just replied:-
"We have not come across this before but it does sounds like the fonts are not fixed in the PDF that Pages is creating, the way to check would be to email or transfer it to your PC and then open it in a PDF reader and see if it changes. The alternative is to try using Word out of Pages, ironically it may hold its fonts better."

...so is there a way of getting the "non mac" fonts to play ball on PC??

EDIT: Why aren't the fonts embedding into PDF? I thought that was the point of a PDF!!?

Baracus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
UK
Soz to bump my own thread, but are there no resident font experts that can help me with this? :)
Thanks! ;)

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Soz to bump my own thread, but are there no resident font experts that can help me with this? :)
Thanks! ;)

It appears to depend on the application. I posted in a related thread that a PDF I created with CS4 InDesign is perfectly legible, using the Myriad font family, but the same PDF file created in CS5 produces mostly giberish except for the Myriad bold font in small point sizes. Clearly, if Adobe can't do it right, no one can. :rolleyes:

Baracus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
UK
It appears to depend on the application. I posted in a related thread that a PDF I created with CS4 InDesign is perfectly legible, using the Myriad font family, but the same PDF file created in CS5 produces mostly giberish except for the Myriad bold font in small point sizes. Clearly, if Adobe can't do it right, no one can. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. As you say, if Adobe can't do it then we have no hope lol!

Still I thought that the PDF intinsically embedded the fonts (turned them to curves or something) so they are portable, so that question still stands?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.