Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CeeWu83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
So, like a complete idiot i downloaded a torrent file with a few thousand font files. i installed them all and it has bogged down my OS and taken over programs like Safari, firefox and entourage (which i use for email). when i change the font in the preference menu in the respective program it will change the size but not the actual font style. another strange thing is that safari will not load pictures now either.

i want to just wipe the hdd but i do not have a disc because i bought it used. i can take it back to the guy i got it from as he refurbishes macs but i was wondering if i could avoid the trip if any one has a tip or two for me.

thanks for reading,
CeeWu

orchido1

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
So, like a complete idiot i downloaded a torrent file with a few thousand font files. i installed them all and it has bogged down my OS and taken over programs like Safari, firefox and entourage (which i use for email). when i change the font in the preference menu in the respective program it will change the size but not the actual font style. another strange thing is that safari will not load pictures now either.

i want to just wipe the hdd but i do not have a disc because i bought it used. i can take it back to the guy i got it from as he refurbishes macs but i was wondering if i could avoid the trip if any one has a tip or two for me.

thanks for reading,
CeeWu

Same Problem Macbook Pro!

I... called Mac Support... told me to do a soft reboot... Didnt work.

Any tips appreciated!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Just go to /Users/[your user folder]/Library/Fonts/ and remove everything there (put them in a folder in case you need them again). None of the system fonts are stored there, so the computer will still work fine and it will remove all those extra fonts. In the future, just install fonts you want to use, not huge batches (I've done that myself, so I know why you did it).

jW

CeeWu83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the tip, worked and no more annoying font in my browsers. one thing, deleted all the font files but when i tried to empty my trash two fonts stuck around saying they are being used by a program. rebooted, closed all programs still won't let me delete them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.