Food for Thought: MBP+ACD vs. 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Oct 26, 2009.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, this is PURELY for thought. I'm not ready to purchase yet, and I realize things may change between now and when I am ready, but let's assume things stay the same for the sake of consideration. :D

I currently have an older white iMac and a quite old PowerBook G4. My wife has a year-old Macbook, but that's solely her machine. I'm looking to replace my machine(s).

I fell in love with the 27" iMac when I first saw it. However, if I get a 27", I'll have to limit myself (more than likely) to the base model at $1599 (with edu. pricing). I have on hand (from upgrading my sister's Macbook) 2 extra GBs of DDR3, so I'd be able to upgrade it right away to 6GB. If I buy the 27", I'll definitely have to sell my iMac and probably my PowerBook, too, in order to get the funds to purchase it. I don't need a laptop very often at all, but I LOVE having one.

So option one is the base 27" 3.06GHz C2D, upgraded to 6GB of RAM.

Option 2, then, is a 13" MBP ($999 for the 2.26GHz refurb) and a 24" ACD ($599 refurb). Add to that the fact I'd need the memory upgrade ($72 for 4GB) and a hard drive upgrade ($90 for 500GB), and you come up to a total of $1760. That's a bit more than the iMac, but its portable, and I can buy it a piece at a time. Not to mention I wouldn't HAVE to get the ACD; I could get a cheaper 24" LCD for <$300.

What do you guys think? I know the iMac would be more powerful and the 27" screen would be awesome... but I really like having a laptop (even though mine is ancient). Or should I consider something else altogether?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Without an update to the MacBook Pro (which is by all means happening in January/February) get the iMac. The power difference is huge. With that being said, I have no clue what you'll be doing, so that might help.

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

^^ Sorry about that. I use my machine mostly for basic-type stuff - web surfing, word processing, PowerPoint, email, etc. I occasionally do some light video editing and Photoshop work, but its all for home use only, nothing professional. I also play a very few games, but that's not an issue, because everything I play plays great on my current iMac.

To be quite and completely honest, my current iMac serves me very well. The only reason I want a new machine is for a larger screen (mine is a 17") and a higher RAM capacity (my 3GB occasionally fills up when I have several things, including Windows XP in Fusion, open). My current PowerBook is useful only as a "netbook," so I'd thought about the MBP+ACD to replace that. But like I said I don't NEED a laptop very often at all, so I can use my wife's whenever I actually NEED one.

4. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so I left out the fact that I would also have to get a keyboard and mouse... well, I wouldn't HAVE to, but I don't think I could stand using my white ones with the pretty new MBP+ACD setup...

Sounds to me like the iMac is the only way to go.

Could always do the upper Mini ($749) and refurb ACD ($599), total of $1348. That would save $251 over the 27" iMac, but I would lose 3" of screen (plus extra res.), 680GB of hard drive, and .53GHz of speed, not to mention the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. I think all of that would be worth $251 myself...

Geez, sounds like I've made up my own mind...

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I think you have. The other option is to consider how much your Powerbook could realistically fetch, it might make sense to wait and save and keep the Powerbook. I definitely think the Mini is not the way to go and the extra power will be worth it in general because you seem to like to keep your machines for a decent amount of time. The longevity of the iMac versus the MacBook Pro is something that might benefit you as well: simple - desktops last longer then notebooks.

6. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Yeah, whatever I get I plan to keep at least 3-5 years. But the current age of my machines is a bit of misnomer... I switched full-on to a Mac a little over three years ago when I bought my then-new (but old stock) Core Solo Mini. This was after going through several older Macs (all G4s, one G3).

My current iMac only replaced the Mini last year - I only made this switch because the opportunity presented itself to make an "even trade." The iMac had better specs (Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM max, x1600 graphics, superdrive), so it was a no-brainer. And I actually MADE money in the trade (though I had upgraded the Mini to a Core Duo and 2GB RAM)! I knew it was a temporary fix, so I didn't mind that it wasn't EXACTLY what I wanted (at that time I wanted a 24" iMac!).

And I just bought the PowerBook 6 weeks ago to replace my (very disappointing) HP Mini netbook. Again, another even trade, thanks to the wonderful world of eBay! While the PowerBook is perfect for what I bought it for, it just makes me want more!

So yeah, the Apple bug has bitten me again. This time, though, I'm going to get what I want. Now the only problem is I have to decide what it is that I want. :D (Though I think I may have made that decision now...)

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

unless you definately need portability, its the imac for sure... so much power [​IMG]