"Food" ring

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericg301, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else wish there was a food (or calories consumed) ring?

We all know that moving, standing and exercise are important, if not essential. But food is part of the equation too. Maybe even more so than the others. Would be cool if there was a 4th ring that tied into My Fitness Pal or similar apps, showing calories consumed.

I know there will be, if not already, a calorie complication. But linking into the ring metaphor would be cool too.

2. vin1717 macrumors newbie

While that would be a great addition, there is no way the watch can count the number of calories consumed and would rely solely on manual input which kind of defeats the purpose.

3. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

how about a horse pill sized iDevice that you swallow, and it lives in your gut and analyzes your food and sends the data via bluetooth to your phone/watch.

Voila! Food ring!

4. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no i know -- you would have to manually track

5. aberrero macrumors 6502a

A third party complication can do it. Developed aren't exactly falling over themselves to support the watch though.

6. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im surprised that there's no sports score complication yet. figured that would be one of the first ones out of the gate.

7. vin1717 macrumors newbie

There's the answer. Apple development team get on this ASAP! LOL

8. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

But not for long...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried various apps at tracking my consumption and in the end, it falls into disuse. I agree its a good idea on paper but in practice I'm not sure its really viable

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have tried the same many times and getting things accurate is not so easy. No matter how much they have in the food database, it will not show what I am eating at times. Guessing leads to cheating!

Hope you have a good weekend

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It especially stinks if you do not know how many calories some food you consume has. It's easy to key in a soda pop, maybe a burger from McDonalds. How do you figure out calories of a home made salad?

12. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you're eating a burger from McD's you're probably not interested in tracking your calories in the first place

Salad is easy. It's the dressing that's tricky.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I used an OS X App called Calories (Now Calories 3) for about 6 years without missing a beat. I now use MyFitnessPal and love it.

[​IMG]

14. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Or LoseIt, for that matter.

LoseIt is what I used to drop my first thirty pounds. Its complication shows how many calories you've got remaining in your daily budget. It shows digits, not a ring, and I don't think a ring would be best for how it works.

16. IW1206MT macrumors member

I like my fitness pal and loose it.

I do hope that they both improve their Apple Watch integrations to reflect the same calories burned as the activity app. Atm they both read about 200-300 higher.

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think it would not work with the ring concept, because you're goal would be to not fill the ring, unlike the others.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not in my case ;), but you are correct for most people and this would be counterintuitive to the concept.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's awesome, I'm just relaying my personal experience with them. I find that I'll use it for a while then my usages trails off. When you have manually put your entries in, then you're relying on the person to be consistent. Some will, I have no doubt, many will not.

20. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I hope Apple solves for this some day. It is a major gap in the device's ecosystem as a true activity & health utility. Every other activity tracking device on the market has a surrounding app environment that either lets you record calories directly, or they integrate with another well-known tool that does calorie tracking.

When I am in focus mode for training, I use calorie counting to manage to a target weight while training. Fitbit has served me very well for years. AW cannot play in that space yet.

21. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

22. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Fecal recognition.

23. IW1206MT macrumors member

I doubt Apple will get into the calorie diary game... They built the platform and other players are already pretty good at it- my fitness pal / loose it etc.

The current gap is that these apps are only partially synced up with the watch's calorie counts. They adjust for steps taken and workouts- but the overall total can be off by a decent amount. I get this in os1 as the watch had crazy resting calories... But now that this has been corrected I would anticipate that these apps will be updated and sync right up.