fool newbie question re: transfering files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bravosierra, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bravosierra macrumors newbie

Before my pc died I backed my files up onto a seagate freeagent external hard drive. Some months later my macbook is pretty full and I need to move some files onto my hard drive but - of course - I can't write to the drive because it's ntfs.

I need to reformat the drive but don't want to lose the data. I don't have enough space on my mac to store everything while I reformat. I have another PC I could use for storage though.

So... I figure I copy stuff from the portable hard drive onto my PC. I then reformat the hard drive to hfs+. But then I won't be able to move the files back to the portable hard drive, right?

My quuestion, assuming everything makes sense so far, is whether I should:
    a) use some fancy means of copying files to the hard drive
    b) copy files from the pc to my mac (how?)
    c) burn many dvds

Any help appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you need to reformat? If you're only going to be using it with your MacBook, just install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G and you're good to go.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What size portable drive are we talking about? Would it be easier to just buy a new portable drive, say 1 Gb for around $100 or so?

4. bravosierra thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. 25 minutes after posting my problem is solved. I downloaded both and am happily shifting my files. That was so simple.

Many thanks.