Foolish to sell off current MP before update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndriver182, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #1
    I've got a 2.66 MP that I bought around August this year prior to knowing about the odds of a product refresh in the coming few months (oops) and now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth trying to sell it before the new model comes out. What do you think?

    I realize I would take a bit of a loss, but maybe even with the loss it would be worth the upgrade. For example, I've wanted to upgrade to the x1900xt video card (they shipped my MP before I could have them change my order to that card to start with). That upgrade in itself would be costly and wouldn't even make sense anyway at this point because of the aging card. I've also added four gigs of RAM for a total of 5gig so maybe that would help offset costs.

    Would there even be much of a demand for selling a very lightly used, perfect condition MP that's still covered under the original 1 year of Apple Care?
     
  2. TripleCore macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    #2
    My philosophy is to sell for whatever the market bears. I know with my system, it's more than paid for itself through client work. Anything I get for it is icing on the cake. Selling based on rumors is entirely at your own risk.

    If a new system comes out, you'll still get decent money for it. The more generations you wait, the less you'll get for it, but the more use you'll get out of it. You can't lose either way.

    If this machine is for surfing the web and using Office, don't bother upgrading. If you are doing video and 3D, then certainly, more horsepower makes a difference.
     
  3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

    Mr.Noisy

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    UK™
    #3
    Agree with TripleCore 100%, are you really willing to sell a great machine on the speculation that there is an upgrade on the way ?? ive been hearing rumors of an upgrade since i bought my MP, if i'd waited i'd be sitting here with no MP and just a craptop, keep the MP unless work warrants the upgrade, i mainly use CS3 apps, and the 4 core 2.66 is great, Adobe suite won't be taking advantage of the 8 cores so for me it's not worth upgrading, i'll just wait till the upgrade after this impending upgrade then get a new Mac Pro, as soon as the new line is released the rumors of an upgrade will start all over again, and soooo many will miss out by waiting again ;)
     
  4. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #4
    Value's gonna plummet once the new ones are out - if you're going to sell it, now's the time.

    I remember selling my CD Mini with a 1GB ram upgrade about a week before the Core 2s came out with 1GB standard... what a good move :D
     
  5. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

    OnePumpChump

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #5
    Exactly, doesn't matter if your apps use 8 cores or not. Once the new one hits shelves, just like jnc said, the value will plummet.
     
  6. TripleCore macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    #6
    Great in theory, but useful only if you know 100% for sure that there will be a new announcement. Do you? Does anyone here?

    This kind of strategy would be especially useful for playing the stock market: Sell before the value goes down and the rest try to sell.
     
  7. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #7
    Well, yeah. I'll bet money that there'll be a new announcement, at some point. :p And all the time until that announcement happens, resale value decreases.
     
  8. zdobson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
    #8
    Why sell at all? You're going to lose money on this deal whether you do it now or after the update. Why not just start putting money aside to buy a new machine when Nehalem comes out in a year or so? There is going to be a much bigger change in architecture at that point.
     
  9. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #9
    Well, leave it to me to make a blunder like this. The only reason I went with the MP is because I went with the new iMac first and had screen problems and just decided to pony up the extra cash for the MP because I *thought* it was more upgradeable. Well, long story short I'm now finding that the machine is pretty much overkill for what I want, but I don't want to go back to an iMac. So, as crazy as it seems, I'm probably going to sell the MP and get a Mini or wait until Mac World to see if there are any updates to the Mini. With the extra money I'd get from my MP I'll just build an XP rig *sigh* that is for games and that's it. Yeah, I'll probably lose a little in the end, but I think I'll have a more versatile setup for what I do. Classic case of uninformed buyer making bad decisions. I admit it :(
     
  10. desenso macrumors 6502a

    desenso

    Joined:
    May 25, 2005
    #10
    A Mac Pro is definitely not a good gaming computer, in the sense that there is better for much cheaper.
     
  11. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #11
    You're right. It looks like I can probably sell my MP and buy a mini as well as a gaming PC for no real significant difference in money. Ultimately that probably just makes the most sense. Then as PC gaming hardware evolves I can just drop new upgrades in as necessary. I love my mac, but the MP just doesn't seem to make as much sense as I originally thought and the iMac doesn't interest me at this point either.
     
  12. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    Location:
    Maine
    #12
    I'm thinking of selling my Mac Pro (2.66) also and am not sure if I should do it through here, through person, or through my brother at the University of Maine. Tough decision, selling my beautiful MP.
     

Share This Page