Foolishly messed with terminal, now new folder created in every directory.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by H3L3N, Feb 2, 2015.

1. H3L3N macrumors newbie

To preface, I don't know the difference between folders and directories, so please bear with me.
    I like to automate things, and I got a little overzealous. I have since learned my lesson, but need to backtrack and reverse what I did. The problem is that my husband and I worked on this together, and I can't remember exactly what we did.
    Here's what I was going for: When I created a new folder and put stuff in it, I wanted a new subfolder to appear within, with copies of whatever was in the folder I just made. I could then change those copies and retain the originals all nice and organized.
    For instance, I would create a folder called "Wedding Pics" and put 200 photos in it. Then, in that folder, a new folder named jpgs would appear with copies of those 200 photos. Then I would go in and change the copies to jpgs.
    Sounds great, right? So, I looked online and found something to write into terminal or console, and it kind of made that happen. Except it didn't actually work, it just put an empty folder named jpgs in everything I open, whether its a folder I created or not. If i open it, it now has an empty jpgs folder in there. It only does it once though, so no matter how many times I open a folder there is only one jpgs folder within. This is wreaking havoc for many reasons. I can't find how to rectify this disaster, and cant find how we did it in the first place. If you think you can help, I appreciate your willingness to overlook the fact that I did this to myself and help me out anyway. Thanks.

2. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

If it really is the Terminal application you wrote something into and you are up to it you can paste the following command into it and post the complete output.

Code:
    history | tail
    It should return some output e.g. the last ten lines of commands you entered.

3. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Or just hit the up arrow on the keyboard to cycle over prior commands run. This how I avoid retyping stuff when lazy.

You'd have to show the command you ran but it almost sounds like you ran this recursively at a higher level in the hierarchy if its everywhere. A command with the -R switch could be a good source of this situation if so.

4. H3L3N thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your replies. I'll bring up my history and see what I can do. Again, thanks!