Football (soccer) board games...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pachyderm, Feb 3, 2008.

1. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

does anyone know of a a good one.

in the US we have a handful of very good baseball board game simulations:

[​IMG]

this is one of my all time faves. based on stats of course. anything like that for football(soccer)?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Subbuteo. ;)

See if you can pick up an older set on eBay or something, rather than the newer ones – the older sets had figures like my avatar, whereas the new version has little cut outs of real players. No where near as ace, but luckily there are a few companies who still produce the older style figures for enthusiasts.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I sold my 70's Stadium Edition for £400 on eBay a few years ago. :D

Attached Files:

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm, at the current exchange rate I reckon pachyderm could probably buy an actual MLS team for that. ;)

5. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

yeah, but they'd be twice as plastic and stiff and not half as good...lol!

strat-o-matic is a strategy game. based on %'s.

Subbuteo, how did you play? did you move the plyers? was it like electric football?[​IMG]

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, nothing as advanced as that! You basically flick the players with your fingers - one of the game's original straplines was 'flick to kick' or something like that. All the players were on little round bases (as mentioned, my avatar is based on a Subbuteo player so that should give you an idea of what they looked like) so they could be flicked around the pitch with ease.

So basically, I'd flick my players so long as one of them had touched the ball in his move - once I'd missed the ball, you'd then have a go and would carry on playing until you lost possession. Once you got into the final third of the pitch, you could shot at the goal - your opponent controlled his goalkeeper via a little rod hat went through the back of the goal, and would try to block your shot.

Hours of fun on a wet Saturday afternoon while you waited for the classified results at the end of Grandstand. :D

7. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, it is. Seriously. Subbuteo is what made this country great. :)

By the way, isn't your electric football game missing a few players? :confused:

9. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

i was serious... sounds like a ton of fun! i would love to play sometime.

the rd team is missing 2 the white team is missing 1...

10. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't know if you are old enough Jaffa, but can you remember a table football game from the seventies which I think was called Striker :confused:

I think it was 5 or 6 a side and you made the player kick the ball by pressing his head down. The players were similar to this, but without the handle sticking out their heads.

[​IMG]

Wolves or Hull? ;)

I remember it being a bit fussy to play, you had possession zones and it didn't flow like Subbuteo.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It rings a bell... I'm a little too young to remember it first hand (I was born in 1976), but there was a similar game during the 1980s – I think the figures you showed might have been from that game but I might be mistaken. I can't for the life of me think what it was called, though – it certainly wasn't a patch on Subbuteo.

Hull, surely – he matches my Jaffatar™ and everything. :D

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Here you go Jaffa, the Wolves & Hull Subbuteo team from when you were just 2 years old :D

Attached Files:

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Heh, nice... although we were wearing stripes in 1978, and had been since 1975 in fact. It doesn't look like any City strips from the years preceding this, either. I suspect they had the gold and black Wolves design and just fobbed us Tigers fans off with it, depriving us of our pocket money with minimum effort on their part. :p ;)

15. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

Two home with the flu. We might get some playing time in with this...

16. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Had the/a head pushing game, tended to play it as a penalty shoot-out. The goalkeeper could dive in an arc - he was on a plastic stick and could be rolled left or right. Edit - looks like there is a reason for the penalties - the game probably being Striker League Champions.

Subbuteo - sometimes set the stand up - being the '70s/'80s crowd trouble was common and chicken wire had to be introduced. Mid-week games were floodlit.

Played another game that had a foamy plastic pitch rather than cloth. The players were represented by coloured blocks of plastic that had a wedge at one end. Edit - the game is Grandslam.

Sad to hear about the Subbuteo figures.

Sorry, can't help re a statistics based game.

Cheers,
    OW

Attached Files:

17. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

[​IMG]

These guys look like they are from a game called tip kick that I am pretty sure if from Germany and also a really fun soccer board game.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And always will be. :cool:

I've managed to find some info about Striker, the game I mentioned in a previous post.

[​IMG]

It's on the Subbuteo web site I used as a reference when I sold my 70's Subbuteo kit about 5 years ago. It's well worth a read if you have ever flicked to kick. ;)

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Heh - I've had a good trawl through that site in the past. It was one of my reference sources when I drew my Jaffatar. ;)

20. remmy macrumors 6502a

good website link, I was able to find a game I used to play...

Super Cup Football

[​IMG]

Great fun when I was younger, think I may still have it somewhere hopefully...

21. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

no time to post the pics but we got our Subbuteo set and now I have created a monster. Two of my mates and their kids are hooked. We are ordering teams left and right.

Currently we have:
    '12 Wednesday home
    '12 Spurs home
    '12 Celtic home
    '12 Man City home
    Aresenal home
    Man U home

and '12 Fulham 3rd kit on the way... :rolleyes: :p

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Needless to say, we're going to need to see some pictures. ;)

23. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Aw, sigh. This brings back memories.......I remember Subbuteo very well indeed, and even played it ........my brother had a much loved set.

Actually, earlier, when I was even younger, my father had vetoed a planned purchase (from an entrepreneurially minded neighbour's child) on the grounds that the requested purchase price for a used Subbeteo set was far too high; granted, it was expensive (this was the very early 70s), at well over a pound (a fortune, in hard earned pocket money).

However, the very fact that I can post about it many years, - ah, decades - later, tells its own tale. I'd have been happy to pay the entrepreneur - in fact, I did, and the exchange took place - but parental pressure (my father contacted his father and both combined to terminate this contract) led to the contract being revoked and the goods (a Subbeteo set, in very good condition) being returned (immediately) to the disappointed vendor.

But nice to see, and very nice to read about. Lovely thread......