Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
To those regarding the strength of the 12" powerbook--

Yeah (sorry), I way underrepresented/over-simplified the actual difference. But for me, the 1.5 in my PB is sufficient, although it has made me adverse to using handbrake too much (more so because of the heat issues associated, which the MBA reportedly does not suffer from so badly). I am bias for the PB because I enjoy it so.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Not the first to fit in the envelope...

The MBA is not the first laptop from Apple to fit in one of those interoffice envelopes. I figured this would be a good thread for these pics (taken with my phone) - I'm surprised I haven't seen pics like these anywhere yet!

env1.jpg

env2.jpg

env3.jpg

Sure it weighs twice as much, but the footprint is a big deal for me. I'd love for someting as small or smaller to take with me just about everywhere. Something bigger than an iPhone but smaller than the new MBA.... Then I'll buy it.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Sissy boys...

I can't believe you sissies are complaining about the difference between a three and five pound laptop.

I'd like for you to tell that opinion to some WWII vet that spent three months in the Bataan Death March.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March

I'll bet the average BMI of those complaining about the weight of of a PowerBook is over 30 (obese) - which means the little fatties could stand to lose about 20 pounds to more than make up for the extra two pounds in their laptop...

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Weight, thinness AND footprint are important to me, but not actual deal killers for me. The decision to go with a MBAir is a bit more complex than that.

I like my laptops lighter not because I loathe carrying 5lb vs 3lb. The strap on my Incase bag will break if I attempt to shove more things into my bag. Now, you can argue whether or not I really need an iPhone AV kit and a laptop AV kit, a ton of cables, random knickknacks, and still slip a pen and a notepad into the case, but if my laptop weighed less that means a few extra things. My bag is heavy enough now, with a MacBook, that it will trigger the passenger seatbelt warning should I place it next to me in my car. No, I'm not a packrat, really, I'm not... I just hate going around in a day depending on other people to provide x/y/z for a presentation, or lack something at a customer's site, or...

Thinness ends up being a derivation of the above. The bag has finite volume. It's possibly my fault for using an Incase Canvas Vertical Sling instead of something larger, but I also don't want the associated bulk of a larger bag. It then would not fit under the seat in front of me on an airplane, and...

Footprint is actually a toss-up. I realize, even at 26, my eyes are going on me. Genetics and a lifetime of staring at various computers for 18 hours a day I suppose. A few years back, my company got me a 12" PowerBook G4 since I did enough traveling. I started using my personal MacBook wherever possible, not only because it was faster and ran WoW better after work, but also because the screen was larger. However, that very same 12" PB did teach me that it's a bit more comfortable in economy with a smaller laptop. I've seen people take 17", even 20" laptops... luggables? into economy. The 20" ones spill over several trays. It's hilarious, and uncomfortable looking... Anyway, the upshot on footprint for me is that I'll accept the MBAir's compromise, because I can at least use the thing. I can already use a MacBook in economy (no tray table, just on my lap), and so being the same is not a bad thing in this case...

I'll also take the opportunity to shed some of the crud in my bag with the self-imposed "new paradigm" coming in with the Air (read: excuse to toss stuff I can't use with a MBAir) and my MacBook's inverter was going anyway (this is an excuse -- getting it fixed is WAY cheaper than an Air).

I gave up on compromised laptop decisions. I don't want to have another MacBook again because it's not what I had in mind. It's not powerful enough for its weight/size class -- it's almost as big/heavy as a 15" MBP. I don't want a MBP to replace the MB because it's really a bit too big for cramped spaces. I'll stop short of saying the MBAir was just right, but at least it gets closer to my ideal travel companion. I'll get something else down the line, perhaps a used MBP, to serve as my high performance mobile machine.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I am sticking with my 26 month-old 12" Powerbook, which is .75GB RAM and .1GHz less powerful than the MBA.

Um, there's more to "power" than raw GHz. G4 in your PB might be only .1GHz less powerful, but in real-life performance it's A LOT slower. It has slow as molasses bus (166Mhz on the G4 vs. 800Mhz on the C2D), a lot less cache (512KB on the G4, vs. 4MB on the C2D), not to mention the fact that your PB has one processor-core running at 1.5GHz, whereas MBA has TWO processor-cores running at 1.6Ghz!

I would say that the CPU in the MBA is about 2-3 times faster in real-life tests when compared to the G4 in your PB, maybe even more.

shadie

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
GMT+8
I'm with the camp that hoped for a new sub notebook from Apple, I would never class the MBA as a sub notebook, you could probably easily fit a 15.1" screen with 1650X1050 resolution in the dimensions of the MBA lid.

What I was hoping for was a sub notebook similar to the Thinkpad X series, full size keyboard without a compromise on available ports and performance. (The new Peryn X61 @ 2.1GHz is available later this month) etc etc.

People that say a 12" screen is too small miss the point, we want small, if the resolution is unreadable change the DPI settings till you can read comfortably.

The MBA is light it is NOT small.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Unless you want to get it in a handbag isn't overall volume the key figure? As the MacBook Air has a lower volume than even the Asus EEE, it looks good from that perspective.

It boils down to diminishing return. If Apple went and halved the volume of next-gen MBA by either

a) halving the thickness

b) halving the footprint

Which would make it smaller in real-life? Both would reduce the volume by similar amount, but I would say that by making the machine thinner wouldn't really offer any additional value. Reduction in footprint WOULD bring added value for those who want a smaller computer. The thickness of regural MacBook is very rarely a limiting factor in it's mobility, it's footprint and weight is more so. If Apple went and made a MacBook that had a 11" screen, weighted 3 pounds and were 0.7 inches thick, I would bet that people would consider it a lot more mobile than what MBA is.

Or, to put it in other words: MBA would have even less volume if Apple made it 1mm thick, while increasing the footprint three times what it is now. Would it still be "smaller" than it is now? I mean, the volume would go down? Answer: No.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I can't believe you sissies are complaining about the difference between a three and five pound laptop.

I'd like for you to tell that opinion to some WWII vet that spent three months in the Bataan Death March.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March

I'll bet the average BMI of those complaining about the weight of of a PowerBook is over 30 (obese) - which means the little fatties could stand to lose about 20 pounds to more than make up for the extra two pounds in their laptop...

You miss the post here from the person who walks with a cane so the weight does matter?

Don't be so judgemental, and in general, just because someone wants a lighter load does not mean they are obese.

My friend just bought a MBA for the Peace Corpe in Africa. He's carrying 15x the weight of a pro laptop in his backpack, and he still wants a light computer.

People are really being idiots here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.