Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
this sucks
one my friends worked in the cardiff branch
its Our price and MVC all over again
The music retail market is doomed !!

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I was gutted when I read this - I buy about 90% of my CDs from FOPP. Well, bought. And people still maintain that the supermarket price wars are only good for consumers... Although, in this case it seems like they've over-extended with the Music Zone buy-up and couldn't really afford it.

I feel bad for the staff too - the guys at the Manchester store were always friendly and helpful.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Crap!

I went to my local store in the Merry Hill Center last night and it was closed.

They always had great bargains in store and a good choice of music, especially older stuff. Obviously they weren't charging enough to survive.

Not good news :( :( :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've never heard of Fopp! Sounds like another Music Zone. Which is a shame.

L

Lau

Yeah, it's a shame it's closing down. I loves me some Fopp, and I too bought the majority of my CDs there. They always had a good selection of books as well. :(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The music industry is weird. Supermarkets like Sainsburys only sells the Top 30 or 40 albums on the music charts at any one time, while a place like Fopp sells the Top 30, Top 50, old stuff, etc. With the success of the supermarket music shops, it shows you how you only need to sell the Top 40 albums of the month to survive in this business. People listen to crap.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Went past the Fopp store in Manchester today and there were a few people trying to see through the glass. Sad sight.

Heard a strange noise too: the nervous silence of music pirates searching for another way to delude themselves that theirs is a victimless crime...

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
The music industry is weird. Supermarkets like Sainsburys only sells the Top 30 or 40 albums on the music charts at any one time, while a place like Fopp sells the Top 30, Top 50, old stuff, etc. With the success of the supermarket music shops, it shows you how you only need to sell the Top 40 albums of the month to survive in this business. People listen to crap.

Actually the real money was in the back catalog not the charts the supermarkets use the top 40 CD as a loss leader to get people through the doors. You'd be amazed how much the record companies charge the retailers for new CDs, unless your buying on bulk for a whole chain, its considerably more than is charged to the customer.

to sum up yes the music business is weird

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
HMV are buying the FOPP name and reopening 6 of the stores, including the Manchester store: BBC News.
It'll be interesting to see if they maintain the pricing model, but good news either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.