For 17' MBP: Matte or High Resolution Matte Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twilight Elk, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Hello, Friends;

If I were to consider getting a 17' MBP (which the possibility is there), would getting the High Resolution Matte screen be worth the upgrade from the regular Matte display?

Looking forward to comments,
    -Elk

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

It's worth it if you want to view full HD1080 videos or work with graphics etc. Texts will become very small though. But if your friend have good eye sights then s/he should go for it, more screen real estate is always better.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I have the high-res display and really wouldn't want to go back to the standard version - it's easily the best display I've ever seen on a laptop. (Oh and I'm almost 50 and my eyesight is no longer as good as it was, but reading type on the high-res 17" is a breeze - the display is incredibly sharp)

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you are only considering a 17" MBP, then I would recommend watching from the sidelines for a bit to see if Apple fully releases resolution independence. Unless you have the eyes of a hawk (or hands-free binoculars), and the mouse clicking precision of something that can click small things precisely, then I wouldn't go for it at the moment.

Of course, it's best if you see it in person as everyone's opinion differs. Maybe you'll find like the above poster that you can get used to it.

5. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

It's already known that resolution independence is coming with 10.6.

It's also possible that the impending MBP update will see the 17" get 1920x1200 standard, while the 15.4" models go 1680x1050. So it may not even be an issue. Just wait it out and see.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

does this mean i will eventually be able to increase my resolution without the need to change my hardware?

7. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

It just means you'll have more control over the size of text and images throughout the whole OS. For instance, you'll be able to resize the menu bar to fit your needs. You are still limited by the native resolution of your display.

The bottom line is the more pixels the better. Knowing that resolution independence is coming, you definitely want the highest resolution screen possible.

8. rskang macrumors newbie

I you are planning to buy a 17" MBP and are planning to shell $2799 for a standard model for $100 more get a High Res Screen, I own one and I will say that even though text and things may be smaller but they are also sharper. This is also a matter of personal preference and Frankly I don't think once you go high Res you will over go back to standard. I know I won't. But yes if you can go check one out at an Apple store and see what suits your eyes.

9. powerchord macrumors member

I totally agree. I, too, have the 17" Hi-Res matte screen and let me say that the screen is brilliant! No complaints here. But again, you should go and see for yourself.

10. jaytv111 macrumors regular

11. Rhinestorm macrumors member

Haha, someone just realized that. :)

12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

The 1920 res is the best display you'll ever see on a laptop. It is completely worth the $100 and even if you decide you don't like it, you can always set it to 1680 for when you don't need it. Go for it, no questions asked, you won't regret it.

13. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

[​IMG]

14. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I would like to see a 17 foot (204 inches) MBP. The keyboard would be huge! :D

15. tom98 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

16. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Would you like to document this as I am more curious on the subject? :eek:

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

10.6 will probably not be coming until 2010 judging from Apple's release schedule which has been slowing down as Mac OS X becomes more refined. This will probably be far too late so integration in a "point" update is more likely in my opinion. Apple have also never said anything about 10.6 so you can't be so sure it's coming with 10.6 ;)

I would rather use a display at its native resolution then make it look like an out-of-focus mess. LCDs just aren't very good at resolutions it isn't native at.

If you are still confused about what resolution independence is Page 9 and 10 of this article and the [GUIDE]Resolution Independence[/GUIDE] guide should help.